North Carolina-Outer Banks

DIY- steaming wedding dress

Hey Knotties, 
I'm trying to save money and was thinking about buying a steamer and doing my own wedding dress. They have them at wal-mart for $30-40. But i've been hearing about the different fabric and how you could ruin your dress. My dress is satin and lace...does anyone have experience with this. Some advice would be greatly appreciated!
 Thanks ladies, Sam.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DIY- steaming wedding dress

• Silk satin cannot be steamed - it has to be pressed or it might stain with watermarks.  If it's not silk satin, then you might be able to steam it; however I personally wouldn't risk your wedding dress.  There's a good dry cleaner in Manteo if that's convenient to you. 
    252-473-5185
    image June 22, 2012
  • I will be in Nags Head, but not untill two days before the wedding. I was trying to save money, but I dont want to risk ruining my dress. Thanks for the advice! -Sam
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Talk to the person who does your alterations.  She/He will be able to give you good advice as well.  For my dress I was able to hang it up at home out of the bag, put it back in the bag for a 7 hour car ride, and then take it out immediately to hang up, and all the wrinkles fell out, and it did not have to be steamed.  My seamstress was able to tell me exactly how to do this, so they would be a good reference as well, and know exactly what to do with your fabric.  
  • okay, I just took my dress to alterations and she said I can just hang it up and the wrinkles should fall out of the bottom layer(satin) but the top layer is lace so it should bew good. My alterations are going to be $180... Is that normal? Seems like alot! Thanks for the advice. -Sam
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_diy-steaming-wedding-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:d2f92f55-517d-4fc6-a4cf-d546f3861f1aPost:641d49c7-0e75-466f-98bf-b538f947daab">Re: DIY- steaming wedding dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]My alterations are going to be $180... Is that normal? Seems like alot! [/QUOTE]

It depends entirely on what all you had to have done to the dress and how complicated of a dress you have (multiple layers, ruffled bottom, etc.).  Did they have to do extensive alterations?
  • No, not extensive... My dress is very simple. It satin(bottom layer) and lace(top layer). She just has to add snaps to the corset back, move a bow tie, and take out the side(by my hips) a tiny bit. I went in thinking it would be less than $100 because my dress fits me very well. I ordered it offline for $85.00 NEW because we are on a very tight budget. So I was dissapointed that very little alterations cost more than the total of my dress. But the wedding is only 20 days away, so I have no choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine was around that much as well.  All she had to do was take the dress up, bustle it, and tack back my lace flowers on the dress.  It was a little under $180, plus she cleaned and pressed it as well.  
  • Yea, she said they only alter( no cleaning). So I bought a steamer and I will do it myself. I just could'nt believe how much they were charging! She couldn't even give my the long bag for the wedding dress. And I can't find a place that sells them. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel like thats a little much then, mine included everything and the bag.  
  • Taking out the dress is probably the most costly part - it's pretty complicated to take something out typically.  It is disappointing that she can't even provide you with a bag though.  You could probably get one on Amazon or Target (hopefully you have enough time to order one).
    image June 22, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards