August 2012 Weddings
Options

Need advice!

So my brother and sister-in-law were unable to have their first dance, due to a silly rule that the church came up with right before they got married. I want to surprise them and have them have their first dance at my reception after my FI and I have ours. I need to figure out song I should play for them. How should i go about asking him or her with out buntly saying "what would ya'll had as first dance song?" any advice?? 

Re: Need advice!

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Why would it matter if you just right out asked? Just don't tell them what your plans are. If you want more of a good time to ask, do so when you're already conversing your own general wedding plans with them.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    <div>Two things, first, make sure you won't be making them feel really, really awkward. You know them better than I know them, obviously, but I would feel really uncomfortable if dancing alone in front of a wedding were suddenly thrust upon me. And dancing is one of my hobbies! I just don't like surprises and I want to be prepared if I'm going to be "in the spotlight."</div><div>
    </div><div>Second, I might try bringing it up with something along the lines of "didn't it suck that you couldn't have your first dance? Did you guys have a song picked out?" If they didn't, maybe just ask what their or his/her favorite songs are, or for advice for what they think would be a good song for you guys to use.</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2012-weddings_need-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1fb748ee-7a4e-40eb-b4b4-e553486f4cacDiscussion:3405c2b4-1fa3-466d-98b2-de4d14a6ae04Post:7cd89d07-b53c-495b-9482-ea421340e569">Need advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my brother and sister-in-law were unable to have their first dance, due to a silly rule that the church came up with right before they got married.
    Posted by william+brittney[/QUOTE]

<div>What rule did they come up with? Do tell.</div>
  • Options
    That sounds great. I would go over your song list for your reception and when you get to your first dance song, ask what song would they have chosen and what dance would they have done, if given the opportunity. That way it would seem as though they are given you advice on songs and dances that they really like. Then end the conversation with," ya'll should show us those moves at my reception."
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards