Pennsylvania
Options

Help with Wedding Venue Planning??

Hi Everyone, I just got engaged on Saturday, March 17th, on my 5th anniversary, and I've decided to start planning now for a wedding in either June/July/August of 2013...

What I'm wondering is, is it cheaper to do a PACKAGE or to rent a venue and get it caterered, etc... I'm looking to keep my guest count at 125, absolutely NO MORE than 150, and these packages just seem so expensive, at like $65 a head.... I want to have my ceremony and reception in the same place if possible, but I can always work it out if that's not possible.... I was looking into http://www.thewashingtonbanquet.com/ specifically, as they look very nice, and they have outside catering....

Does anyone have any suggestions, opions, etc? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.Cool

Re: Help with Wedding Venue Planning??

• Options
    Congrats on your engagement!!

It all depends on what you're looking for as far as your meal and what you what included. If a package includes decor, cake, after party meals, linens etc then it would be wiser to pick the package. I only say that because 1. everything is done for you and you dont have to worry about talking to a caterer, a florist, a rental company etc)  and 2. while you pay a little more see reason 1. :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Congrats!!!

When FI and I first got engaged, we looked into venues that were basically a la carte.  The meal was included, but that's it.  Everything else was extra.  The fact that the price was only $25 pp made this very appealing to us.  However, once we did the research to see the costs of everything else PLUS considering the fact that we'd have to do all the work ourselves, we decided it wasn't worth it.  We chose a venue with a package deal.  

We're having a 5 hour reception.  Our package includes 4 hours of open bar, a champagne toast, table linens, mirrors/vases/votives to use with centerpieces, various hors d'oeuvres, meal, wedding cake, and accommodations for myself and FI on our wedding night.  We also get a coordinator who will handle everything on our wedding day, from decorations to vendors.  We give them the decorations we bought as well as the contact info for our vendors and we don't have to worry about a thing.  For all of that, we're not paying much more than the packages you've looked at.

Good luck!
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you guys so much, this is so helpful... I think Packages are the better way to go! There is so much included in many of them.
  • Options
    Does anyone here have any experience with Inne of the Abingtons? They by far seem to be the most affordable, and most beautiful venue I've seen. They are about a n hour away from me, but at this point, I'm looking for something affordable so I can still afford all the special touches and such :) We had thought of doing the whole thing ourselves in my fiances parent's backyard, but we think it will be too small to accomodate 100 people..

Does anyone have an experience with Famularos in Mount Pocono as well? I live in the Poconos, so the plus on that is it is affordable... and close! Just wondering. If anyone has any suggestions either, I'm open! I'm really desperately trying to find a place now, and my wedding date is flexible since I've not even been engaged a month ;)
  • Options
    I went the other direction and are doing my things seperately. I looked at several different venues with packages and talked to people and decided it wasn't for me. I knew I wanted to be hands on from the beginning, and while packages are great, you basically just have to show up. I also learned that depending on the venue, there is very little in the package that can be altered and some places are not very nice when it comes to your requests.

I went with a church, reception hall, dj, florist, photographer, baker, and the limo and even with all of the decorations and small details, including stocking the bar ourselves our whole wedding will be under $12,000. To put that in perspective, a 150 person wedding at a venue that charges $70/pp (estimate of all the places I looked at) you are looking at 10,500. We're having 240 for 1500 more.

It's really what you are comfortable with and what sort of bride you plan on being. I'm into DIY and have always had a vision for my wedding. I've even thought about being a wedding planner when I was younger so for me the choice was pretty easy. Good luck with whatever you choose!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards