Military Brides

What would you do?

Hi Ladies,

I've posted here before, but since I don't really qualify as a military bride (FH is IRR from the Marine Corps), I don't frequent the board.

We've been planning for a March 2014 wedding, after I'm done with my master's, and we're actually living in the same place. However, we very recently found out that there is a 6 month deployment beginning very late this year, so it would overlap that planned time, that would involve all of his former squadron that is still active, including one of his groomsmen.

We have no venue or anything yet, but since the wedding is going to be in South Carolina, we don't want to do summertime - it's just too hot. So we would essentially have to move the wedding back about 6 months, to September. As much as I really don't want to postpone, since we will already be engaged for two and a half years, in March, I also don't want to plan a wedding with him knowing that a good chunk of his very best friends can't be there.

So...what would you do? He's telling me not to stress...but that's not going to happen.

Thanks in advance!!

Re: What would you do?

• I agree, no need to stress! You just have to be flexible and hope that everything works out.

It seems as though your options would be to:
    1. Plan a wedding for this Fall before he deploys. 
    2. Plan a wedding for September 2014.
    3. Take the heat and plan a summer 2014 wedding.

I personally, would look into planning a wedding for later this year, mainly because I'm impatient and would just bite the bullet and do it as soon as possible. (We only have a 6 month engagement and quite honestly, I only needed aobut 3 months to truly plan our wedding) 
    Of course you won't have as much time to save as for options 2 or 3, but you might be able to swing it. If you can't do it later this year, then just accept that you can't change the deployment and deal with what you have. It stinks to have to wait, but if you want more time to plan and save, then you just have to accept it for what it is. Semper gumby! 
  • A wedding in summer would be hot, but it doesn't have to be. I did my wedding on the beach in Florida in August. The ceremony was outside and only about 15 minutes. The rest was indoors in the AC. You can swing something like that for summer time. Just make sure everyone has chairs during the ceremony and provide water and fans. (we did both of those). 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_what-would-you-do-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ddf078fb-ebd3-48a8-9859-06369a78cf56Post:0c65fbe8-dd5e-4c7b-a4f1-9a3def67d4fd">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree, no need to stress! You just have to be flexible and hope that everything works out. It seems as though your options would be to: 1. Plan a wedding for this Fall before he deploys.  2. Plan a wedding for September 2014. 3. Take the heat and plan a summer 2014 wedding. I personally, would look into planning a wedding for later this year, mainly because I'm impatient and would just bite the bullet and do it as soon as possible. (We only have a 6 month engagement and quite honestly, I only needed aobut 3 months to truly plan our wedding)  Of course you won't have as much time to save as for options 2 or 3, but you might be able to swing it. If you can't do it later this year, then just accept that you can't change the deployment and deal with what you have. It stinks to have to wait, but if you want more time to plan and save, then you just have to accept it for what it is. Semper gumby! 
    Posted by manjermj[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You hit the nail on the head! We had been planning to wait until March because I am not done with school until December, but since I've already hired a wedding planner, as long as they're still available on the new date, we should be good to go!</div><div>I also just checked, on a whim, and the 2 venues that I love still have availability in September and October. It'll be a crunch, but I think it's possible.</div><div>
    </div><div>Now I just need him to hit the phones to make sure we avoid any pre-deployment training! 

</div>
  • Something's gotta give: either get married before you graduate (I did, and hey, it all worked out fine), or some of his best friends just will not be there....or get married in the heat. Either way, you'll be there with the man you love. Someone is ALWAYS not going to be able to make it. At the end of the day, this wedding for the two of you, the family and it's the first day of your happily ever after. Sometimes while waiting for the perfect moment, it totally passes you by. Stick to your best-guess and go for it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_what-would-you-do-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ddf078fb-ebd3-48a8-9859-06369a78cf56Post:20d1484d-b68d-45bc-a5fc-7993dfde0d13">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would you do? : You hit the nail on the head! We had been planning to wait until March because I am not done with school until December, but since I've already hired a wedding planner, as long as they're still available on the new date, we should be good to go! I also just checked, on a whim, and the 2 venues that I love still have availability in September and October. It'll be a crunch, but I think it's possible. Now I just need him to hit the phones to make sure we avoid any pre-deployment training! 
    Posted by lizlovescupcakes[/QUOTE]

<div>You can totally plan a wedding in that amount of time, especaially with a planner.  I've done them in less than 2 weeks.  </div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_what-would-you-do-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ddf078fb-ebd3-48a8-9859-06369a78cf56Post:7e62de68-efbb-4a48-be9f-478019438cfb">Re: What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would you do? : You can totally plan a wedding in that amount of time, especaially with a planner.  I've done them in less than 2 weeks.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh yeah, you can totally do it! Our engagement is only 6 months and we have an entire formal wedding planned for 160 people. It only truly took about 2 months to plan everything.</div>
  • Thank you ladies for all your advice!

FH is not thrilled about the idea, especially given the fact that there will most likely be pre-deployment training going on, so we could plan the whole thing early, and STILL lose all those guys.

Looks like we'll be postponing till next fall...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards