Honeymoon Discussions
Options

How much cash to bring to Mexico?

My FI and I are going to an all-inclusive resort in Cozumel for our honeymoon. We might do an activity (like take a jeep tour of the island or something) or go shopping/eat outside of the resort, but we certainly plan to take advantage of everything we are already paying for at the resort.

We've never been to Mexico or to an all-inclusive, so I'm wondering what you guys normally take in terms of cash? Do you bring just dollars or pesos too? Do you use your credit or debit card a lot while in Mexico? Any advice would be appreicated :)

Re: How much cash to bring to Mexico?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_much-cash-bring-mexico?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:3d1ea44d-78b1-404d-b3bb-bf3f82984660Post:d8d8198f-c2dd-4db6-b447-3177d8537bf9">How much cash to bring to Mexico?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI and I are going to an all-inclusive resort in Cozumel for our honeymoon. We might do an activity (like take a jeep tour of the island or something) or go shopping/eat outside of the resort, but we certainly plan to take advantage of everything we are already paying for at the resort. We've never been to Mexico or to an all-inclusive, so I'm wondering what you guys normally take in terms of cash? Do you bring just dollars or pesos too? Do you use your credit or debit card a lot while in Mexico? Any advice would be appreicated :)
    Posted by Alyssa0421[/QUOTE]

Hi, I think I remember saying you were going to the Aura, right? DH and I just went there 3 weeks ago and we brought $500 cash. We didn't really tip at all inside the resort (lots of other people did, we just left some money for the maids at the end). We paid cash for a Jeep rental (not the same as the Jeep tour) and it was $115, including insurance and pre-paid gas. We bought a few things on out drive around the island. We also both with on a snorkeling tour ($39/person) and I went scuba diving ($139 for the Discovery Dive with 2 tanks). We spent every single dollar of that $500.
  • Options
    I can't speak for your spending habits for how much you guys will need, but FI and I hit up the ATM while in Cancun and were very disappionted when it gave us pesos.. haha.. we were trying to figure out the conversion rate the rest of the trip so we just stuck to using our debit card. We only used cash for tipping our excursion tour guides, taking the bus into downtown, and tipping our driver back and forth to the airport. Other than that, our resort was AI so we didn't need money for food or drinks, and we used our debit card when shopping. Just make sure you bring enough cash for what you plan on doing while there, we did find one ATM that gave out American money, I think it was in the mall where Chocolate City is in Cancun. HTH!
  • Options
    We just got back from Mexico (our second trip there).

We took about $300 in cash and most of it in $1 to tip at the resort, because last year the resort didn't have change.

We stayed at the same pool all week and tipped the bartender at the end of the week. 

We came home with most of our money because we didn't do any excursions this time.  I believe most of the excursions will take your credit card and if you do massages or anything else at the resort you can put those on a card at the end of the week as well.
  • Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I rarely travel with more than $200 cash.  As others have said small bills are better.  You can get whatever you need with cc's & debit cards.  Just make sure your cards know you will be out of the country or they might cut you off when they can't reach you by telephone. 
  • Options

When I go to Mexico.. I usually bring $100 a day I am there... I dont book my excursions ahead of time because I am always afraid of the weather. As for cash, bring like 100 in $1.. sounds silly but tipping and such.. ones help

• Options
    Like pp said, I have no idea how much you want to spend, but when I went there I made sure to have a fair amount of singles to tip with. We left the maids a dollar or two every day and they left beautiful towel & flower art on our bed! The bartenders will remember you, too, and give you better stuff. I'd suggest checking out Fodors. They give pretty good advice about changing money. Sometimes you can get better deals depending on whether you use dollars or pesos.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards