Louisiana-New Orleans

Flowers + Candles - Budget?

Getting married at Latrobe's later this year and starting to look for someone to handle flowers + candles (we want lots of candles).   I met with Diane of Fat Cat Flowers, who I really liked and she sounded like she had a good understanding of my vision.   Meade Wentzel and Dunn & Sonnier have both been recommended to me, but I'm hesitant to give them much consideration without being able to see much of their work online first.  Anyone have experience with either and/or photos willing to share?  What about  flower/decor budgets?  My wedding will be about 100 people, 4 BM, 4 GM and we are having both the ceremony and reception at Latrobe's.

Re: Flowers + Candles - Budget?

• marleemillermarleemiller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I suggest that you buy your own candles online which would save you money. I bought these votives which already come in a glass holder and burn for 7 hours.  They are $5 for 12: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?dep=76&cat=40&subcat=0&IsOnSale=0&IsFeatured=0&IsNew=0&ItemId=110752. I have seen Diane and Meade's work and I work recommend both of them.  I think Diane tends to be more expensive than Meade.  Meade doesn't use email or voicemail so if you are an out of town bride that may not be what you are looking for. I am using Christina O'Malley because she was able to give me the most bang for my buck (and she was easier to get in touch with than Meade).  If you email her she can send you pictures of weddings she has done.

• edited December 2011

Our weddings sound like twins. I am getting married at Latrobes in a month and a half. We are using Meade, based upon reccomendations on this board. I had my consult with her a few months back. She has some magazines she was featured in at her place of business. (which if you go with her don't be scared. Its a storage center on Tchop. ) Any way she has a great eye and has been in the buiness for a while. She does weddings at Latrobes alot (which is why we went with her). She is a bit old school since no email, computer, uses loss leaf, but her work is very artisitic and her prices seem reasonable.

My friend recently used Christina for her Ocotber wedding. Her flowers were beautiful and she said they were very reasonable.

• kwasikkwasik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a local bride, but I use email alot for communication and I probably don't have the patience to deal with a vendor who does not use email.   Do you have Christina's contact information?

Alicia, if you don't mind, how much was Meade's quote, what does it include? If you'd rather email me the details  privately I'm katie.wasik at gmail. I would love to hear more about your wedding!
  • marleemillermarleemiller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sure. Her is email: christinaomalley@cox.net.  She might have an auto reply that says her email isn't working properly.  If she doesn't reply in two days or so email the other email address listed in her auto reply. I emailed her this week and got a response within two days.  I have a much larger wedding than you and had a budget of around $1800 (8 bridesmaids and 8 groomsmen 180 guests). We are reusing a lot of the flowers from the ceremony in the reception since our ceremony and reception are in the same place. If you have a smaller budget I'm sure Christina can work with you and if you have a larger budget I'm sure she can give you exactly what you want. Just tell her what you want to spend and want flowers/arragements you want and she will provide you a quote based on that.
  • kwasikkwasik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, that really helps. I would like to keep the budget for flowers/candles at around $2000, and I was a little shocked at how high Diane's quote was ($3000-$4000), especially since our wedding party is relatively small, and we would rather have more candles than flowers.  I have emailed Christina and am going to check out Urban Earth and a few others too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards