Massachusetts-Boston

Looking for a great alterations/tailor - Suggestions welcome!

I got my wedding dress at a bridal event, not at a store. I've been researching and reading reviews online about where to go in the Boston area, and no one has had mostly rave reviews. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot, but does anyone have any experience with a great tailor? My dress is pretty intrecate with beading and lace overlay - any suggestions would be welcome and helpful!! I'm willing to go to the 'burbs if needed! Thanks in advance!

Re: Looking for a great alterations/tailor - Suggestions welcome!

• mia082683mia082683 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rosa in Peabody.  She's been phonomenal for my friends and she's fixing my dress this month!  I can find her phone number for you and post it.  She does it out of her home; she does fabulous work and she's super reasonable!
    image 180 Invited
    image 160 are joining in!!
    image 17 are missing out!!
    image 3 are late to RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    If you're closer to Quincy, Chris O'Hare is a great choice. If you're closer to Billerica, Faye Carraher also gets good reviews here.

I had my alterations done at Sabella Couture on Tremont Street (near the Boston Common movie theater). She did an awesome job. Highly recommend.
  • edited December 2011
    If your willing to drive out of the city, I highly recommended Fay Carraher in Billerica. I got pretty sick a couple of weeks before my wedding and when I went for my final fitting with Fay a week before the wedding, we discovered I lost so much weight that my dress had to be taken in more. She was awesome about it and when I went back it fit perfectly.  Plus my dress had some crazy lace work that had to be removed and put back on when she shortened my dress. She did such an amazing job and my dress looked great. She is so great to work with and the nicest lady.

She works out of her home and her prices are super resonable. The place I bought my dress from estimated alterations at anywhere from $600-$800 and I ended up paying $260.

• amccarthy3amccarthy3 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Chris O'Hare! She took my dress in almost 3 dress sizes and did a fantastic job.
  • edited December 2011
    I 3rd Chris.... she is amazing!
  • edited December 2011
    I also went to Sabella Couture on Tremont. Maria not only does alterations but is also a designer so she understands intricate dresses.

She did a great job on my dress. I would highly recommend working with her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • rubyredlucyrubyredlucy member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with Fay Carraher and she's great and reasonably priced.  She's taking up my hem, putting in an invisible bustle, sewing in cups, taking in the sides a little which means taking apart the lace carefully and putting it back seamlessly, and a few more little changes- all for about $200. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Fay Carraher!

• edited December 2011
    I 4th(?) Chris O'Hare, but I think you should be warned that her workroom is kind of... cluttered. The first time I went in, which I think was a bad day, there were dresses and stuff piled everywhere, with just a little walkway to the dressing area. The next two times it was much better, but I remember thinking, is it ok to leave my dress here?

I only say that so you know what to expect, but I definitely recommend her. She did a great job on my dress and was so much less expensive than anyplace else was.

Oh also she doesn't do the final press/steam, so be sure the factor that additional amount and time in. Worked great for me so I could just get it pressed on the Cape wehre my wedding was.
  • edited December 2011
    Does Fay Carraher steam/ press the dress after alterations?

• edited December 2011
    For those who used Chris O'Hare- where did you take your dress to be pressed and/or cleaned before the wedding?

I bought my dress as a sample and there are a few spots that need to be cleaned and it certainly needs to be pressed before the big day.  Does Chris give recommendations or does anyone have suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards