Students

Any other medical students?

Hi!

My name is Justine, I'm 24, and I'm a medical student. My boyfriend and I are planning to get engaged sometime this year, and plan to get married in the spring of 2012, around the time I will graduate from medical school.

My bf (future fiance!) is currently a graduate student focusing on environmental science and will be working on his thesis for most of the coming year. I am just wondering if any of you have any advice for us as to how to plan a wedding around such a busy schedule!

Also, I find myself getting distracted by all the engagement/wedding talk and it sometimes makes it difficult to focus on studying! (haha) If anyone has advice on how to keep the excitement from becoming a distraction, I would really appreciate it!

Congratulations to all of you!!!!
Justine

Re: Any other medical students?

• Hi Justine!  My name is Melanie and I'm a fourth year student (graduating in 5 weeks!).  I'm not getting married until 10/2011, but we got engaged 10/2009, and I've had TONS of time to plan.  Fourth year is a great time to get married - you'll have lots of time to actually have the wedding, and to plan last minute details.  Third year is really busy but you'll find time to get done everything that needs to get done.  It's also really nice having a long engagement - I'm glad that I won't be feeling as crunched even when residency starts, I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

Anyway, congrats and good luck!
  • Hello and WELCOME!!! I am another 4th year, going into Radiology :) 

I am soo happy that I have only had this distraction for a short while, otherwise I probably would have failed med school, lol!! As I type I have 7 tabs open, haha.

I agree with Melanie, 3rd year is really busy but you will find time, it is busy & hectic like 1st & 2nd but in a different way.

Best of luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey, I am in a somewhat similar situation... I'm a junior now in undergrad but immediately after college am going to med school. He is done with the Marines either June after I graduate or May (not sure...). So what we did was get engaged before he went to Iraq (last July, so 2 and a half years before our wedding--december 2011). I'm obviously not through with the planning process yet, but it's apparent that a long engagement is KEY. Now, every time I have a break and can go home to FL where the wedding will be (am in NY for college and he is in NC), I do something wedding related. For example, over spring break we got engagement photos and looked at venues. We now have both the venue and the photographer we used for the engagement session booked--you can do a lot online or over the phone. The next time I go home, probably sometime over the summer, I will be meeting with wedding coordinators. It's a slow process, but it works with a busy schedule! Good luck :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • oh, and so there are no surprises, planned the wedding based on the winter break schedule for 2011. (december 18, 2011)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • edited April 2010
    Hi! I am excited to read that other med students are on here! I am a medical student finishing up my second year, tommorrow is my last day! I am getting married during fourth year, in Feb 2012. Mainly because this is the next time I have vacation! We get to pick 3 out of the 11 months of 4th year to take off for boards, interviews, and vacation each for a month, so I am just going to take off the whole month! We are also having a destination wedding so will be gone a week for that, and another week for our honeymoon in Hawaii, so I needed a lot of time off! We got engaged last March so our engagement will be almost 3 years long by the time of our wedding. We had been dating for 5 years though, and were so excited to get engaged! Its about a year and a half away now but I cant wait! As for being distracted, yes I think about wedding planning all the time, but I think its good because it really keeps me going through tough times with school having something to plan and look foward to so much. Also, the planning is so low pressure because you have more time to plan. I am taking Step 1 of my boards in June though, so I have to really buckle down for the next few months! Good luck with everything!
    Marissa
  • Marissa: I see you are from Upstate NY. Do you go to medical school in Upstate NY? I'm currently taking a leave of absence, but will be a third year at University of Buffalo starting rotations at the end of June. 
  • Thanks for the welcome! I Do you know the name of the Step 1 Thread? I looked but cant find it. I would be interested in reading that, because I am starting my board studying on Wednesday and havent made my study plan/schedule yet!

Wow what a small world! I go to UB Medical School too, and will be starting my third year roations in June too!
  • Hey Marissa - it's actually got the title "Step 2"

here is the link (hope this works!) :
    http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_step-2
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hi ladies!.. I'm a dental hygiene student!.. I graduate May 13... Fi is an oral surgery resident...(graduated dental school last May)--now working on his MD but technically he's in his second year of med school and studying for step I... which is taking over our lives.. booo :-(
  • Old thread, but want to connect with some fellow med students.  I will be an MS2 this year and just got engaged.  We are planning on waiting until my graduation (and his from his doctoral program) in 2013 which means a looooong engagement, unfortunately.  I'm just hoping I can get out of this happy, dreamy wedding cloud for the start of classes in 3 weeks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards