Oregon

1 hour outside of PDX too far?

I'm looking to book my wedding in Scotts Mills, OR, about 1 hour south of Portland, and about 20 minutes from Silverton. My fiance and I are totally in love with the venue, it's a good price and is extremely flexible to our wants and needs. My parents are convinced that this is too far for out of town guests to drive not only too the wedding, but back to Portland afterwards. We've talked about having a bus for people, or having people stay in Silverton, but then it seems inconvenient for people to get back to Portland for brunch.

Any ideas?

Re: 1 hour outside of PDX too far?

• DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

It's probably not ideal, but assuming everyone will have a rental car and it's not a difficult to find location, it's probably fine.  My parents just did basically that for my cousin's wedding - they flew into the town where most of my family lives on Thursday, drove an hour to the wedding on Saturday and then back again that night, and will fly home tomorrow.

Either that, or have your guests stay in Silverton and move your brunch to somplace down there.

PS - you're not getting married on a Friday night are you?  Because if you are, then I say you're crazy - traffic will make it nearly impossible for anyone to get there on time.

• edited December 2011
    If you're having a lot of out of town guests, I will agree that it is pretty incovenient for them.  I'm not a big fan of bus transportation because then people feel like they're being held hostage and cant' leave when they want to.

I worked a wedding out there at Domaine Margelle Vineyards a couple of weeks ago and while the location is goregous, it's really far from Portland.  If you're going to have your guests stay in Portland, my advice is to be considerate to their needs and hold your wedding close by.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks to you both. We are holding it at Domaine Margelle and indeed it's the flexibility of the location, as far as the time we can have there and what we can do, as well as the scenery that attracted us to it. No we're not getting married on a Friday.

When you were there, how was the catering handled? Did it go well?
    thanks!
  • Megz63426Megz63426 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having our wedding on the willamette queen in salem, it's about 2 hours from us, and a good portion of our family its an hour drive.  But everyone that wants to come for our evening will be apart of it. I think if it's unresonable it's out of the question but otherwise an hour, in my opinion, is fine!
    Remember its about you! Not them..
    "It's not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away" Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oregon_1-hour-outside-of-pdx-far?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:119Discussion:9df6b830-148a-4aa7-9f67-e118b791956cPost:71602171-40bd-40fc-b91d-f90b407bc52d">Re: 1 hour outside of PDX too far?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks to you both. We are holding it at Domaine Margelle and indeed it's the flexibility of the location, as far as the time we can have there and what we can do, as well as the scenery that attracted us to it. No we're not getting married on a Friday. When you were there, how was the catering handled? Did it go well? thanks!
    Posted by jesskstern[/QUOTE]

The wedding was the first week in August.  I actually didn't see any caterers while I was there setting up, so I can't speak to that.  Overall, I got a pretty disorganized vibe, but I don't know if that was coming from the venue or the people the bride had entrusted to run the set up.  A couple of things to consider- they had their reception across the road from the winery by the guest cottage.  The lawn has a pretty significant slope to it, which can be problematic for tables and chairs.  It was also pretty breezy, which combined with the slope caused things to slide/ tip over on the tables.  It was also very sunny (aka HOT).  But like I said, it's a gorgeous venue and you can't beat the views.  There are some photos in my link below if you're interested in seeing how they set it up.

Good luck with your planning!
  • Megz63426Megz63426 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BTW added note.. I know this becuase my father has worked in the hotel buisness up there for a long time.  The hotels around the airport aren't the only ones the busses shuttle to.  They go as far down as the Monarch in Clackamas, next to the town center.
    "It's not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away" Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Have them stay in Salem. We had our wedding in Amity and all of our OOT guests stayed in McMInnville w/out complaint!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards