Virginia
Options

Help! Need ALL ideas for wedding in Norfolk

I recently moved the location of my wedding from South Carolina to Virginia to make it easy for my fiances family to travel... The only problem is I live in North Carolina!
I'm going up next weekend to Norfolk to scout out locations, but I need some ideas of venues on a small budget as well as caterers, djs, and all that other stuff!!

Any suggestions will be welcomed,
Thanks

Re: Help! Need ALL ideas for wedding in Norfolk

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you define small budget? Like what PP price range are you looking at?

Does it have to be in Norfolk or is Virginia Beach and other nearby areas ok too?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm living in NC and having my wedding in Norfolk as well!  Like beautifulbride said what is your ideal budget for your venue??

There are so many beautiful venues in the NOrfolk, VB area!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you should check out the Spirit of Norfolk! You can have the wedding on their outer deck, and then the ceremony inside :) it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be, and the best thing is, it includes food, a dj, a day of coordinator, and a cash bar! you can purchase bar packages if you want, rent out a whole deck or just a small section, and they're super fun! A friend of mine recently got married there and they had a small budget, too. :) how many guests are you expecting?
    September 2011 December Siggy: First Kiss
    imagePregnancy Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Blog!
  • Options
    mnmiles829mnmiles829 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're trying to keep the budget around 6-7 total and it'll be small anywhere between 100-125 guests hopefully.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your budget for food is 6-7K? That's definitely doable.

The Norfolk Botanical Gardens is a little pricy to rent out, but I think you can use Farm Fresh catering there, and they have some really nice inexpensive catering packages.

A lot of hotels in the area will have good options for you, so I'd start calling up those. The ones we talked to had 4,000 food minimums, but that fits into your budget really well.

The Sheraton Norfolk Waterside gave me a really great price on food (so don't be afraid to negotiate) but we found a hotel we liked better, and you have to pay for the guests parking.

The Lesner Inn is also lovely. And I would also look into golf courses.

Hope this helps!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia_need-ideas-wedding-norfolk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:236Discussion:c10909b9-13b0-4697-8cbe-702b4cb8687bPost:bf9b986b-4ca9-4abd-b672-c0d30c49d29a">Re: Help! Need ALL ideas for wedding in Norfolk</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your budget for food is 6-7K? That's definitely doable. The Norfolk Botanical Gardens is a little pricy to rent out, but I think you can use Farm Fresh catering there, and they have some really nice inexpensive catering packages. A lot of hotels in the area will have good options for you, so I'd start calling up those. The ones we talked to had 4,000 food minimums, but that fits into your budget really well. The Sheraton Norfolk Waterside gave me a really great price on food (so don't be afraid to negotiate) but we found a hotel we liked better, and you have to pay for the guests parking. The Lesner Inn is also lovely. And I would also look into golf courses. Hope this helps!
    Posted by beautifulbridetobe11[/QUOTE]

I might be wrong but I think she meant that she wanted her entire budget to be 6-7k, like the whole wedding.  But I may have misread.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_virginia_need-ideas-wedding-norfolk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:236Discussion:c10909b9-13b0-4697-8cbe-702b4cb8687bPost:10b2f80e-a203-4934-a13d-4e35a29f932d">Re: Help! Need ALL ideas for wedding in Norfolk</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help! Need ALL ideas for wedding in Norfolk : I might be wrong but I think she meant that she wanted her entire budget to be 6-7k, like the whole wedding.  But I may have misread.
    Posted by greeneke2[/QUOTE]

That's how I read it too. 

I'd check out Elements of Waterside or the Harrison Opera House.  You can bring your own catering and alcohol to both.  It's going to be pretty hard to find something within that budget around here- the Botanical Gardens start at $2500 for just the least expensive hall, nothing else included.  I know a lot of people who have gotten married at the Lesner but I think it's more on the reasonable side rather than the budget side but I don't know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could have your ceremony at Norf Botanical Gardens but have the reception at a nearby venue. I recently shot a wedding there, then the reception was at the Norfolk Airport Hilton. Worked out very well....nearby & this couple was budget concious. G'luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a bunch of budget friendly info. You can email me at brandi.hunley@gmail.com so you can let me know exactly what youre looking for so I dont overwhelm you with info.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It's not in Norfolk, but it's very close. Try The Greenbrier Country Club in Chesapeake. I recently contacted them and depending on the day & the time you choose, it's very doable.

http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Greenbrier-Country-Club/Weddings-Events/Weddings

NON MEMBER RENTAL FEE & ROOM CAPACITIES

Ballroom(Greenbrier Room, Chesapeake Room, Virginia Room)Standup Reception: 250 / Wall to Wall Seating: 120 ( with dancefloor) 150 without$600.00 ( * with member sponsor, $300.00)
    FairwayStandup Reception: 150/ Wall to Wall Seating: 60 (with dancefloor) 80 without$400.00 ( * with member sponsor, $200.00)
    Ballroom and Fairway ( All of Upstairs)Standup Reception : 400 / Wall to Wall Seating: 250 ( with dancefloor) 280 without$1,000.00 ( * with member sponsor $500.00)
    Individual Ballroom ( Greenbrier Room, Chesapeake Room, Virginia Room)Standup Reception :60/ Wall to Wall Seating: 40$200.00 ( * $100.00 with member sponsor)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    WEEKEND MINIMUMS( Friday evenings, Saturday, and Sunday)Ballroom ( Greenbrier Room, Chesapeake Room, Virginia Room)7am- 10am $750.00 11am- 3pm $2,000.00 4pm - On $4,000.00
    Fairway Room7am- 10am $500.00 11am- 3pm $1,250.00 4pm - On $2,500.00
    Ballroom & Fairway ( All of upstairs)7am- 10am $1,000.00 11am- 3pm $3,500.00 4pm - On $6,500.00
    Individual Ballroom ( Greenbrier Room, Chesapeake Room, Virginia Room)7am- 10am $250.00 11am - 3pm $400.00 4pm - On $750.00
    WEEKEND MINIMUMS
    ( Friday evenings, Saturday, and Sunday)Ballroom ( Greenbrier Room, Chesapeake Room, Virginia Room)7am- 10am $750.00 11am- 3pm $2,000.00 4pm - On $4,000.00
    Fairway Room7am- 10am $500.00 11am- 3pm $1,250.00 4pm - On $2,500.00
    Ballroom & Fairway ( All of upstairs)7am- 10am $1,000.00 11am- 3pm $3,500.00 4pm - On $6,500.00
    Individual Ballroom ( Greenbrier Room, Chesapeake Room, Virginia Room)7am- 10am $250.00 11am - 3pm $400.00 4pm - On $750.00
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, this included in the rental price.
    Greenbrier Country Club provides the following at no additional charges:
    · White linens
    · Tables, Chairs, serving ware, etc.
    · One complementary color for either an overlay or napkin.
    · Set-up and break down
    · An house centerpiece that you can use or you can bring in outside centerpieces of your choice at no additional charge. You will also find a list of preferred florists and vendors to help make your day extraordinary!
    · Cake Cutting
    · Dance Floor
    · Time line for “day- of”
    · Votive Candles
    · Complimentary meal for the bride and groom
    · AND a champagne toast for you and all of your guest

Recommendations:
    · Chair Covers are $5.00 a chair; white, ivory, or black and a sash in color of your choice.
    · Entertainment: we recommend Astro entertainment!
    · Pike Media Resources for lighting design!
    · Accommodations: Hyatt Place in Greenbrier. We have a specialized rate for all guests of the Club that the Hyatt will not charge more than $119 for a suite and will provide complementary transportation for mutual guests.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    For spa, hair, nails etc I love Changes in Norfolk! I've been going there for my hair for over 5 years, I live 2 hours away now and still drive down every few months. If you do hair there Dena is amazing, she is doing my wedding hair, and even did my prom hair a few years ago :). And it's not to pricey. 
    Visit Military.weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    cmluptoncmlupton member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mnmiles829 ,

Did you ever find a venue and if so, who did you go with?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards