South Asian Weddings

Traditional Indian Wedding in the Caribbean -- help?

Hi, so I am relatively new to the boards (and newly engaged as of two weeks ago and already in full planning mode!), I thought I would start with a very broad question...

Is anyone out there planning (or has done) a traditional Indian wedding in the Caribbean? Has anyone been to a traditional Indian wedding in the Caribbean?

If so, can you tell me where the wedding was (what island)? What time of year was it? Did you use a destination wedding planner (if so, who) or just an on-site coordinator at the resort/hotel?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

Re: Traditional Indian Wedding in the Caribbean -- help?

• edited December 2011
    Hey Schica927!  Welcome to the boards!  So, we are not having a destination wedding but initially we thought we were going to have one so I have done quite a bit of research on it.  My fiance really wanted a Caribbean wedding and I really wanted a traditional Indian wedding so we were hoping for a fusion if some sort.  It's def possible to do, but did not work out for us since we we got the veto from my family.  My family is huge and so many people couldn't come, etc, etc.  Needless to say, it can be done and theres lots of great resources.  Initially when I started researching, I was looking for islands where you can get Indian things easily and not have to fly a bunch of stuff (i.e. mandap).  I found that Jamaica has a lot of Indian so it would have been possible to have something traditional there.  My fiance and I actually took a trip to Jamaica and checked out some resorts.  We went to Montego Bay and found Half Moon resort.  They have done several Indian weddings there and are very knowledgable about the components of an Indian wedding.  They even have an Indian chef.  The only thing was that Half Moon was very expensive, but beautiful!  I have also contacted a few girls who have had Indian weddings in Negril.  A great resource is Destination Wedding Forum.  I was able to get info from there and got into contact with a few girls who have had Indian DW.  The only thing I would say is that if you are ok with not having complete 100% control with every aspect of your wedding or are more laid-back, then DW is for you.  I had a hard time with some people in Jamaica because they would never return my calls and had such a laid-back attitude that I was concerned that the day of the wedding, maybe things wouldn't go as planned.  However, I'm sure if you have a DW wedding planner, those things wouldnt be an issue.  Anyways, if you have any other specific questions, let me know since I probably have had the same one at some point.  Goodluck!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement.  I got married in Negril jamaica in November.  If you can do a DW-then I would highly recommend it.  I didn't want to have a large wedding-we had 58 peopel attend.  It was thebest decision we made.
    We didn't use a planner-but like pp said-you do have to be able to let go of a few things-and have a laid back attitude.  If you want more info-email me at mastistyle at hotmail  GL!
    ExerciseMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards