Nebraska

Inexpensive DJs and Photographers

We have a good chunk of planning done, but we're having a hard time finding a DJ and Photographer.  So many of the photographers I'm finding are way out of my price range.  As far as DJs, I used to work at the Omaha Marriott so I refuse to use Bandstand or Complete because I know they do the same thing at every wedding.  Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonably priced photographers or DJs?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Inexpensive DJs and Photographers

• edited December 2011
    We're splurging on our photographer, so I can't help you there.

For DJ, though, we are using In Stereo (Spencer Williamson).  He charges $500 for cocktail hour and reception (unlimited hours).  For $75 more, he will also do ceremony music.  We met with him and really like his personality -- laid-back and a true music lover.  Don't judge by the website, it's pretty lame.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • kat20012002kat20012002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend A Final Take Music. Joel is a great DJ! I have seen him at several wedding receptions and you can tell that he loves what he does. He has a great selection of music and will make your night run smoothly. I believe his website is www.afinaltake.com
  • wishonastar01wishonastar01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For DJ's we are going with Finch on the Run http://www.finchontherun.net/ They have a couple different djs, but I have witnessed Brian, the owner, in action. He did my sister's wedding a couple years ago. He is high energy, but also allows guests to enjoy themselves. Very reasonable. Not sure if it will help, but tell him you were reffered by Jill (me) and Steph (my sister). See if that helps with the cost.

For photographers, we are using Meri Valentin. Not sure how long of a photographer you are are wanting yours to be at your wedding, but she offered an incredible deal for 6 hours for 1300. The deal is good until the end of this year.

Let me know if you have questions - wishonastar01 at gmaildotcom
  • edited December 2011
    For photography I am using Ivy Snow Photography, but he is kinda pricey. That was my splurge. I am using Complete as my DJ, only because a friend used to work for them. What is it that they do that everyone on TK doesn't like? I see people complain about them, but never get an answer...?
    "The best thing about loving and being hurt is that you get to know what true love really is. For as gold is tested in fire, and so will love be perfected in pain."
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nebraska_inexpensive-djs-photographers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:654Discussion:69c5baa3-94c0-41cc-a305-89df36bef5e3Post:2823d237-89d0-4fdb-9d2f-eca065622a33">Re: Inexpensive DJs and Photographers</a>:
    [QUOTE]For photography I am using Ivy Snow Photography, but he is kinda pricey. That was my splurge. <strong>I am using Complete as my DJ, only because a friend used to work for them. What is it that they do that everyone on TK doesn't like? I see people complain about them, but never get an answer...?
    </strong>Posted by rachjim[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for others -- but for me, the thing that I hate about Complete and Bandstand is that their contracts contain a clause that allows them to switch the DJ at the last minute at absolutely no penalty to them.  

For example:  Everyone loves Mark from Bandstand, right?  So . . . what's to stop Bandstand from double (or triple, or quadruple) "booking" Mark for the same night, and then switching all but one of the couples to different, less-popular DJs at the last minute?  I've read enough reviews to believe that these last-minute switches are very prevalent among the larger DJ companies. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My issue with Complete or Bandstand is that I know that there sets and routines are not that unique or original.  There are certain games and songs they are expected to play.  They do everything in the same order and it's very predictable.  This is having worked at the banquet department of the Omaha Marriott for 7 years.  Sometime you could even walk from one ballroom to the next and they would be playing the exact same songs.  I don't have any complaints about the people that work there though. 

I was recommended two fairly inexpensive photographers that I'm looking at now.  Matt Spilker (packages start at $945) and Kim Fogle (she charges $100 an hour, so depending on how long you actually need/want her for it is very reasonable).

I'm talking to all of the DJs recommended right now, so we'll see how that goes.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! I appreciate your input! 
    "The best thing about loving and being hurt is that you get to know what true love really is. For as gold is tested in fire, and so will love be perfected in pain."
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! I am originally from Wisconsin and one of my best friend's husbands is a photographer. He has done quite a few weddings/engagement shoots and does wonderful work. He is very reasonably priced and is a great person in general... check out his site: opticlightphotography.com.
  • edited December 2011

40 Nights Photography out of Lincoln (but he will travel).

http://www.40nightscreative.com/

Nathan is very well-priced (for now...I predict his prices to go up, the more popular he becomes). He does really great artistic, creative work and I'm looking forward to working with him more! I highly recommend!

• deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also using FInch On the Run for my DJ.  I have heard only good things about him and they are cheap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • csciscoecsciscoe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Dave Uhlig as a photographer and he is awesome. He has done some of my friends weddings, he charges 1200 which I think is pretty reasonable! Look into him! as far as DJ, we are using Mike with Audioscenery, who I have also seen at a few weddings and thought he was amazing! hope this helps
  • jlo3204jlo3204 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IFor our wedding, we actually had two different photographers (as one was a friend of ours that took pics just for fun). We used Jill O'Neal for our official photographer and the pictures turned out really good!. Molina Photography did the other pictures and they turned out amazing as well. We're having a hard time choosing among all of them!  

Jill's website is:
    www.jillnicolephotography.com
    (If you're interested in her pics, send me a message and I can give you the password to our wedding pic gallery so you can take a look at them)

Molina Photography:
    www.molinaphoto.com
    (however, most of their gallery pictures is on Facebook. Just search Molina Photography and they have albums of their work).
  • Chasity08Chasity08 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Showtime Music for my DJ. I met with them and LOVE the owner, so I booked them. I believe I'm paying $550 for 5 hours, and then its $50 per hour after that paid straight to the DJ (the company does not take a cut at all, which I like).

For photography I'm using Christine McGuigan photography. Her website says that her package is $1650, but I asked her if we could do a basic package with 8 hours of photography and a CD of all edited images with copyrights, and she's doing that for $950. Her work is amazing so I'm really excited to use her =]

For my engagement shoot I'm using Amy Shaffer photography (look her up on facebook). She's new to the photography biz so she's working on building her portfolio so right now she's either not charging, or charging next to nothing for a photo shoot (I know her sister in law, so I'm not sure if she's doing it for free cause of my connection or just because that's how she does it right now). But her work is very promising and she's just too sweet! I know she's looking to build her portfolio quite a bit this coming year, so you might be able to get her to do your wedding for pretty cheap if you're on a tight budget! Definitely check her out! =]

Hope that helps! Good luck on your search!
  • edited December 2011
    http://www.delacruzstudios.smugmug.com/weddings

You can see my photographers pics here. these are only some of them as i just got married friday. She is awesome and very reasonable, tell her i sent you and she will cut you a deal. shes a good friend!   oh ya just talked to her and she could do around $1000

Jennifer Ramsey-Dietlin

her website is http://www.delacruzstudios.com
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Natural birthing,home birthing,baby wearing,breastfeeding,nonvax,midwife/emt/firefighter mom of four, hoping for number five
  • neems1982neems1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Captured By Tree photography is the best, very resonable.
    ethan9 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Bold & Kreative Photography (a good friend of mine!)

http://boldkreativephotography.com/

View her whole portfolio of BEAUTIFUL work!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think I would skimp on photography (eek, I've heard SO many horror stories of photographers losing images, none turning out, etc.).. I would just really check references with past brides, and make sure you look at an entire wedding album, not just the teasers on their website.  I've seen Matt Spilker's work, and know he's been around for a long time, so he'd be one I would trust!

As for the DJ, we packaged it with our Video from A Sound Impression to make it a little cheaper.  But I will second what the girls were saying about Complete and Bandstand.. I refused to use Complete because a few of my friends used to DJ for them, and everything is so corporate.  Their DJs are trained to go through the same motions at every wedding, even down to the phrases they have to say, and that seemed very "cookie cutter".  I wanted someone who could be spontaneous and lively, while relating it to my guests in particular.  Hope that helps!

-Mikayla :)
  • edited December 2011
    We used Richmond Photography in Lincoln for our Photography and Videography. We meet with alot of photographers in both lincoln and omaha but we liked having 2 photographers and we got all the rights to pictures.  Our pictures were ready from our wedding the next day posted on my facebook page!

http://www.richmondphoto.com

As for DJ - we used Complete Music - Lauren was our DJ - she was very easy to work with and i didnt feel it was " Cookie Cutter " or anything.  Maybe i need to go to more weddings.

Not sure of their direct link to their website.
  • edited December 2011

I would suggest AJ Photographers in Lincoln. She's young, artistic and gives fresh perspective on her shots. She gets some creative angles, amazing magical moments and expressions. Plus, I think she gets good texture on her pictures, if that makes sense (a.k.a.   I like her choice of backgrounds, colors) She's based in Lincoln but is extremely reasonable in cost. take a look at her samples on her website. www.aj-photograhers.com.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards