Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Did you get a videographer? Do you ever watch the video?

I booked a videographer today for $1,500. It comes with full day ceremony and reception. When I told my mom, she thought I was crazy and that a videographer is a huge waste of money.
What do you think? Was the video a good investment or waste of money? Do you ever watch the video?
BTW - $1500 was the most reasonable price I found. Some places quoted me 2 and 3k! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Did you get a videographer? Do you ever watch the video?

• I actually had my grandfather in law record my wedding and it turned out spectacular.  I was on a budget and splurged on the photographer since that is what every one looks at.  It turned out great, My husband and I have watched it twice (we got married 3 weeks ago) and love it.  If I had a suggestion I would say spend the extra money on a photographer and find someone you trust to record the ceremony.  It makes it more raw and organic.
  • I felt like a video was an unnecessary expense...but almost at the last minute (two weeks to go) I had a little extra in my budget and decided to splurge.  I am SO glad that I did.  The whole day went by in a blur, and I hardly remember the ceremony or anything really.  I don't remember the kiss, didn't hear the vows.....and I cannot wait to see my video.  I am so relieved to know that I will be able to see everything I missed.  I'm sure it will come back once I see it, but at the time I was distracted in every different direction and so worried about making everything perfect that I just couldn't focus on what was happening.  Our video was $600.00 for four hours of coverage, just perfect for us.
  • edited April 2010
    Ditto Fsytybride. I've heard so many brides and grooms say that the day goes by so fast you hardly remember anything! It'll be nice to see things that happend at your wedding that you might have missed. We decided to hire one and I can't wait to see how it turns out! We didn't want to ask a family member because we didn't want to put any pressure on our guests. If someone offers to video tape it, then that's different, but if not I'd say go for the professional!
    Anniversary
  • Ditto for me too!!! We booked a videographer a few weeeks prior to the wedding and it was the best choice ever. There were so many things we missed that day , that we saw on the video. So far we've taken it out at least once a month and when guests come over that didn't get to attend the wedding.
    218806_0122 - Copy2011-10-239513.10.15 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yeah...honestly in retrospect I do think there are areas I could have saved money...but if anything I would have had more video than less.  The $800.00 cake is gone forever, the extra cases of wine from the expensive winery were drank the same as the table wine that was 10.00/bottle cheaper...all sorts of things...and even though I have a ton of photos on disc from my great photographer, I know tht the video is going to be something I will always treasure.  As my mother and grandmother's health fail, and my children get older, Michael's dad living so far away with heart issues...I don't regret the video at all.  Having been very sick lately myself I have learned that life is but a heartbeat away from change.  If anything ever happens to my husband, I'll be sitting around like Bruce Willis in that movie Sixth Sense.
  • Many wedding vendors are overpriced and I couldn't justify paying any more than 500 for videography. I found a guy that was just starting out. The recommendation came through the my local board. I have seen his work and frnkly he is s good s the higher priced vendors.
    I think it is worth getting video, but I don't think its worth breaking the bank for.
  • Wow thats a ton of money!  I don't know where you are located...but you might try craigslist or a local university for a film student who might capture it cheaper.

But yes, we got a video (for $600) and have watched it three times since we got it a month ago. We have 3.5 hours of footage (1 hour of getting ready, the whole ceremony, and almost 2 hours of reception footage).  Its so fun to watch and relive the day.  IMO its worth it, even if you can't get it any cheaper. You can relive memories from pictures, but seeing the motion and hearing the sounds makes you relive it.

• At $1,500.00 there better be 3 people filming & it better be darn good as far as the editing goes.  & i want a bloopers feature. & a copy to give to both our parents.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_did-videographer-ever-watch-video?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:389f0c1e-5e7b-4386-b852-022b80490ee8Post:4d72506c-3e5c-456d-a636-ea0a4f57b60d">Re: Did you get a videographer? Do you ever watch the video?</a>:
    [QUOTE]At $1,500.00 there better be 3 people filming & it better be darn good as far as the editing goes.  & i want a bloopers feature. & a copy to give to both our parents.
    Posted by tommyandy[/QUOTE]

<div>The package comes with 2 guys, 3 HD cameras, and 5 HD dvds, and 1 blu ray disc</div><div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I totally agree with pp, you can find a great videographer that is just starting out for around $600 max.  Mine was a recent college grad in video production/editing and his work was just as great as these high in guys we interviewed.  The only difference is he is just starting and looking for clients and will be very accomodating for you!!
  • yes of course I am doing one.  and I will watch that video a million time. i dont care what anyone else says about never watching the video. wth is wrong with them
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know a number of brides that do not have videos of their weddings, I went to three weddings prior to my own that did not use a videographer.  I erred on the side of practicality and reviewed my budget and decided on a really good photographer.  I live in Louisiana and I was unable to find someone whose work I liked and was affordable, the ones whose work I actually liked cost more than $1500, I would also like to mention that I did not want one of those videos that has music over everything and most of the time that is what you get, some refuse to do it any other way.  The stress of the search and the budget prompted my decision.  The day does go by really fast and I do wish I could have afforded it, but in the end I did not accumulate a lot of debt to get married and that gives me peace of mind.  I have great pictures that reallly do tell the story of my day.  So you may want to consider having someone just videotape the main parts of your day, the ceremony, the first dance, cutting the cake etc.     
  • I agree with PP.  We're dropping $1,400 on our videographer (very inexpensive for our area) and it'll come with 2 cameramen, FULL day coverage (hair appointments to exiting the reception), 3 DVDs, and all in HD.  It also includes full ceremony and reception footage but he'll also edit everything so that we can watch the highlights in a 45 minute movie.  He'll also have a 2 minute trailer out by the time we get back from our honeymoon a week after the wedding.

I agree with PPs as well that the day is going to blur by.  I don't even really remember FI proposing!  I can't imagine what it will be like on our wedding day.  I kind of blacked out when he proposed because I was so surprised.  But, thankfully, his sisters were there and took pictures of the entire thing.   But yeah...I would never go without video of our wedding day.

Anniversary
  • I really wanted a professional videographer, especially since my two closest friends who had gotten married within the past year both said that they almost didn't and ended up doing it (like most pp) and were glad they did....

However, DH just simply did not want to have one. He just didn't see the need (although I really did, and we had a few discussions about this!). In the end, it wasn't something I wanted to majorly disagree about, since we paid for the wedding ourselves - and I can honestly say, everything else that I wanted, including every vendor, the venue, florals, photographer, DJ....really everything -  I was able to have. And  he made that possible for me, so I didn't push the issue.

In the end, we compromised a little. One of his best friends videotaped the ceremony and the first part of the reception (including the toasts, first dance, etc.) for us. He is putting it on a disc for us, and we should have it soon. Even if it's not perfect, as long as I can make out who's who and who said what, I'll be ok with that....lol

We did, however, spend the money on really excellent photographers (we actually had 2 photog's) and since I knew we wouldn't have pro video, we instructed them to photograph our day in a photojournalistic style that would tell our story in pictures minute by minute - and that's just what they did. It was like having my own personal paparrazi with me the entire day!

And so, unless I just lose my memory, I'll still be able to look at the pictures,and bring the day back. I just hear a song that was played, and I'm back there again on the floor dancing!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards