Michigan-Lansing
Options

Need Lansing Venue and new photographer

Hey, ladies. I'm having reception venue issues and am trying to find a new location for a September wedding. I don't really want a golf course or boring banquet hall, nor do I want anything outdoor. We already have an awesome caterer who we are loathe to give up, so it has to be somewhere that accomodates her. We'd also like to keep it as close to downtown as possible instead of having to drive half an hour to Williamston or Charlotte. Any suggestions?

Also, I've had two photographers cancel on me due to 'scheduling errors,' so I'm trying to find somebody good in the $1800-$2200 price range (I'm a photographer, so no amatures trying to build portfolios or with fewer than 5 years photography experience). I was looking at J Carlynn, who was recommended by several independent friends, but she doesn't seem to be able to return phone calls or emails EVER. 

Re: Need Lansing Venue and new photographer

• Options
    I love my photography, Kelly Gillespie from Looking Glass Photography.  The site is lookingglassphotography.biz if you want to check out her work. 

The Grand Ledge Opera house allows for self-catering, but that's the only place I can think of that does besides Perpective2 (but I don't try to send people their way because I think their prices/service are absurd).
  • Options
    Thanks, ChipGirl11. I had thought this was a crappy nature photographer I know of, but after giving it a look, I must have been mistaken. I'll definitely see what FH thinks and maybe schedule a meeting.

As for P2, I used to work there and the owner is a unstable nightmare, so that has never been an option. I actively discourage people from trying to host events there, and from what I've heard, their prices have more than tripled in the past couple of years. Grand Ledge isn't for us, but not a bad venue.
  • Options
    Have you checked out the Grand Loft in Grand Ledge?  I know that they allow you to bring in your own caterer.  They do provide a DJ with the rental (but that means you can't bring in a different DJ or band).

You could also check out the barn at Woldumar Nature Center, if you are looking for something unique.

Just out of curiosity, who is your caterer that you love?  I'm trying to find a good caterer for a 2013 wedding.
  • Options
    We looked at Grand Loft. I wasn't horribly impressed. A carpeted loft? The big pillars were awkward, the dance floor was tucked in a corner, and we're doing live music and have a friend DJing the rest, so we weren't interested in his services. Combined with the follow up phone calls asking if we were interested in seeing the place after we already had, I wasn't very confident in his ability to keep details straight. And Woldumar is booked, unfortunately. I definitely checked there. 

We are using the Purple Carrot Truck as our caterer. They do seriously fantastic food and were really willing to work with our budget to come up with some amazing menu options. 

Contacted Looking Glass and still no response. Seems to be an unfortunate trend; wedding photographers who can't or won't take the time to respond to inquiries. Not a great way to run a business.

Hoping it all comes together soon. We've only got a little over five months left!
  • Options
    OMG I'm so excited to hear that you are using Purple Carrot Truck!!  I am obsessed with them and was dying to see if they could actually do catering for a full wedding.  I'm waiting to hear back from them with a proposal.  Did they give you a per person price or did you say "we have X dollars to spend, what can you do with this"?  I'm SO happy to hear that someone else is using them!!  I'd love to hear more details about it!

What about the Country Mill?  I think they allow outside caters as well.  http://www.countrymill.com/

Have you checked out The Camera Chick for photos?  http://thecamerachick.com/ She looks like she is in your price range.

Good luck!
  • Options
    http://www.lunadulcephotography.com/

I think she's amazing and, sadly, she wasn't available for our date.
    my_wedding_original Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also, two birds photography out of chicago is great as well.
    my_wedding_original Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bah! Kelly just booked that date. Story of my life. Was excited to meet with her.
  • Options
    Yay, we have a back-up venue! The parish hall (which is really nice, actually) is available to us after a little bit of shuffling (they were going to be doing parish member photos in there, but I think they moved them to a different building). SO EXCITED. 

Thanks for all the recommendations, ladies. I'll definitely be looking into them!
  • Options
    <div>My photographer is Heather from Infiniti Photographer.  She is wonderful!!  <a href="http://www.irememberforever.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.irememberforever.com/</a></div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-lansing_need-lansing-venue-and-new-photographer?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:96Discussion:6be547ba-b47e-4a0b-b835-ecee43742e0bPost:f15f60d5-54a1-457a-a364-02de81cf11d3">Need Lansing Venue and new photographer</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey, ladies. I'm having reception venue issues and am trying to find a new location for a September wedding. I don't really want a golf course or boring banquet hall, nor do I want anything outdoor. We already have an awesome caterer who we are loathe to give up, so it has to be somewhere that accomodates her. We'd also like to keep it as close to downtown as possible instead of having to drive half an hour to Williamston or Charlotte. Any suggestions? Also, I've had two photographers cancel on me due to 'scheduling errors,' so I'm trying to find somebody good in the $1800-$2200 price range (I'm a photographer, so no amatures trying to build portfolios or with fewer than 5 years photography experience). I was looking at J Carlynn, who was recommended by several independent friends, but she doesn't seem to be able to return phone calls or emails EVER. 
    Posted by rachelk18[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Grace-  I deleted your post because vendors are not allowed to post on these boards.  Please read the TOS you agreed to when you opened your account.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards