Students

Stressing over student loans.

This is my dilemma.  I live at school (in an off campus apartment, but it's paid in part by my student account and I can't afford the rent otherwise) and I usually love it.  My parents live 15 minutes away.

I have been getting a (relatively small) student loan every year. I have about two years left.  I do not need the loan to pay for my tuition.  I need the loan to pay for my housing.  I have $2000 more every semester through private scholarships (which would mean I could get the money in hand) if I did not have to pay for housing and I could use that money to pay off the loans I already have.

We are not engaged yet, but right now the plan is for BF and I to get married a few months after I graduate. I would really hate to be on my own, then have to go back to living with my parents, and then go straight to living with my husband. But 2000 dollars is a big chunk of change vs. going into debt.

Any suggestions?
Anniversary

Re: Stressing over student loans.

• As PP said, this is a really personal decision, but I always think debt is the worst choice.  Is moving in with BF an option, like loves2shop suggested?
  • Coming from someone with massive amounts of student loan debt (thank you private undergraduate school and private law school)  I would say RUN back to your parents house.  I insisted on going to a private undergraduate school and I am paying dearly for it.  If I had listened to my mother I would have gone to state school and saved close to $50k.  Having your freedom is amazing right now, but in 5 years when your still paying off the loans you took for housing you are going to be kicking yourself for not graduating debt free when you had the chance!  Plus every dollar you borrow you pay $3 back.  So figure on triple your rent you have to pay back then decide if it's worth it to you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Okay, problem solved. 

Well. more like problem dissolved.

I found out that if I changed my residency, then I would end up owing more than I do now, because it would disqualify me for some scholarships.

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_stressing-over-student-loans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:fec27b6d-2976-4fb6-902b-ed28d4835e11Post:b2887564-5397-4fc6-bca7-883c5be63bc1">Re: Stressing over student loans.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, problem solved.  Well. more like problem dissolved. I found out that if I changed my residency, then I would end up owing more than I do now, because it would disqualify me for some scholarships.
    Posted by Narwhal[/QUOTE]

Well, that sucks.  At least you don't have to feel like you're making the wrong choice, though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards