Catholic Weddings
Options

Finding a thread

I'm giving a talk on freedom at our exalt this week. I'm trying to find the thread that happened not so long ago that had a paragraph or two by a particular poster (don't remember who) that was very wise...

Talking about freedom "from" vs freedom "to"

I did a search for freedom but couldn't find it. Anyone remember what thread it was?

Re: Finding a thread

• Options
    I think it was the second thread from AFrenchPrincess that was asking about accepting children freely from God. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just went through it and didn't see it.
  • Options
    was it caitrona's response in [this] thread?

First, I just wanted to commend you for being willing to look deeper into this issue.

In Response to Re: :: afrenchprincess :::
    Lastly, children require a lot from you. And I will admit I am spoiled. On weekends I get up when I choose,go where I want to go and do what I want to do. Children will put limits on my freedom and I don't know how I feel about giving that up.
    Posted by afrenchprincess

I also think I can speak to this a bit. As long as some girls have told their stories about TTA or lack thereof--I got married quite young, and my husband was still in school. I had patched together two part-time jobs to support us, one of which involved lots of physical labor. In short, when we got married, we had serious reasons to TTA. At the same time, I had lots of extremely selfish reasons. I just had the real reasons to hide behind.

We had always talked about having a big family, but it was something he actually desired. I saw it as something I should do in order to be a good Catholic, and wasn't it magnanimous of me to be willing! Wasn't God fortunate to have my willingness! *major sarcasm*

The serious reasons gradually began to melt away--first my husband graduated, then he got a job with good benefits, then my job situation improved so I was no longer hopping between two jobs sometimes three times a day. I was terrified, because now my facade of being obedient to God's will was slipping away. The rubber would now meet the road. All I could think of was the vacations I wanted to take and working out I wanted to do, clothes I wanted to wear, the STUPIDEST things like sushi and cocktails...all the stuff a baby would "ruin." I kept most of this to myself, but there was some tension between MH and I over when to jump in. Finally, one night at Mass, after watching two of our friends be baptized and receiving Our Lord, I realized I had no more excuses--but also that the desire had begun to form in me. I did want a child, even though I was afraid.

We conceived our second month of not postponing. We were alternately excited and terrified throughout, but mostly overjoyed. Some of you know the ending here--after ten wonderful days, Our Lord called our son home. I say all this not to be morbid or a downer, but just to emphasize how, like PP's said, part of the reason God gives us children is to call us out of our self-centeredness, to school us in the life of Heaven, which is the outpouring of self for the good of the other. I was afraid of the sleepless nights, of giving up 'freedom,' not being able to do what I wanted. But now? We can sleep as late as we want. Go wherever we want. Do whatever we want. But now God has shown us the emptiness of those selfish desires. Those things are worthless. The education that parents of living children receive through their hard work and sacrifice, we have received through our lack of it, when we would love nothing more.

The world's freedom is always 'freedom from.' From commitment, from responsibility, from rules, from consequences. The freedom of God is 'freedom to'--to do what we ought, not what we want; to grow in holiness, to the full stature of Christ; to possess oneself only in order to give it away.
  • Options
    Yay!!!! Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards