Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Grooms Cake

Has anyone ever done a grooms cake? and if so what did you do for it? I am thinking about surprising him with one, but im unsure exactly what to do. Where also did you get it?

Re: Grooms Cake

• edited December 2011
    I am not doing one but I know a lot of people do them at the rehersal dinner as 2 cakes at the reception can be cake overload. When we met with bakeries for our cake they all asked if they could also do a grooms cake for us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did one and gave it to him at the rehearsal dinner.  We ended up not eating it so it was set out in the cocktail area during the wedding.
  • julbgordojulbgordo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd like to get one for FI and plan to have it out at the reception with our cupcake tier (instead of a traditional cake).  FI restored a vintage VW Beetle and I'd like to get a cake in the shape of it.  I think that's something he would really appreciate and think is fun.
  • jessa1228jessa1228 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I also plan on getting one for the RD, most likely from whatever bakery will be doing our wedding cake.
    Anniversary
  • dgrassey6502dgrassey6502 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! I really like the idea of having it at the rehersal dinner!
  • edited December 2011
    I had a grooms cake at the RD as well.  At a wedding I went to the other day, they had the grooms cake at the reception... and it was AWESOME.  The couple started dating after being on our kick ball team (that's right... I play kickball.  And dodgeball.  What?) so the grooms cake was a giant kick ball with the league's logo on it, and little cake/gum-paste replicas of the couple.  So flipping adorable.  I have to find out who made that cake, because it was incredibly well done.
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Truly Custom Cakery made a great one recently, ck their facebook page or blog, It's a batmobile. of course that isn't all she can do--touch base w/them and see
  • edited December 2011

Lochel's bakery in Hatboro does a nice job with them as well. (they have a FB page). I used them for our wedding cake but I didn't do a groom's cake. Scratch that, I did a small cake (ice cream- it was a joke to my husband b/c he loves ice cream) and my venue forgot to bring it out. I forgot about it until the next day so we never did get to see it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_grooms-cake-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:0ae9f5cf-1ef6-43b8-8e6c-25d0680c3188Post:d58357e1-6449-41fb-b8b9-559e6340e91a">Re: Grooms Cake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lochel's bakery in Hatboro does a nice job with them as well. (they have a FB page). I used them for our wedding cake but I didn't do a groom's cake. Scratch that, I did a small cake (ice cream- it was a joke to my husband b/c he loves ice cream) and my venue forgot to bring it out. I forgot about it until the next day so we never did get to see it.
    Posted by jenmac628[/QUOTE]

<div>This is who I'm planning on using. Our venue is partnered with them but I've also heard amazing things about them. Were you happy with them?</div>
    Anniversary
  • kirab2kirab2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lochel's has delicious cake.... ive never had their wedding cake tho. 
    January Siggy ****weight loss**** image Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! Great reccommendations! Im not far from hatboro!
  • edited December 2011
    Jessa- Yes, we were very happy with them! Their cakes are delicious. We got our rehersal dinner cake and treats through them too and were very pleased!
    What venue are you using?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    We're using Spring Mill Manor.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Congrats- I went to a wedding there a few years ago and it was beautiful! We loved the mashed potato bar :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    We are using Spring Mill Country Club!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards