Rhode Island
Options

hi everyone. I am getting married  October 9 in my grandparent backyard.I am looking for a good photograper, who obviously is not too expensive, also looking for a good caterer since it is in my grandparents backyard. I have heard Morins isgood, but would like other choices as well. My mom and I are going to the Bridal expo at the convention center in a couple of weeks which may help. I already have been told not to give my correct email. Is this a good show to attend, or are there others which may be better? Thanks for any advice!!!

Re: Newbie

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!

My #1 tip for attending bridal expos is to create a separate email address to give out. It keeps your personal inbox clean and then you can weed through all of the offers that come through. Most are junk, but coming from a marketing field, I get a kick out of some of the bad stuff that comes through :)

For caterers, I don't know of many aside from Morin's, Blackstone and Atomic, but know that this is one area you probably shouldn't skimp on, as guests really enjoy great food at a wedding.

Check out Lefebvre Photo for a great, reasonably priced photographer.

RoyalOrient also knows of a bunch more so I'm hoping she chimes in too!
    Happily Married!! 5.29.11 was THE best day of our lives!

>-{ Blog - K5 Becomes A Bride }-<

>-{ Wedding Items FOR SALE }-<

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Caterers:

Glorious Affairs, Newport

Plantation, Newport

Blackstone, Newport

Chanterelle Boutique Catering (new company, but lots of experience!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My caterer is out of CT but I have a great photographer, my best friend and I both booked him and his wife , their names are Chris and Amanda Beck and their company is Memories RI.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge - Ceremony Location imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome! What kind of a feel are you going for? We loved our caterer - the food was fantastic. We used B&M Clambake Company and had a mixed grill menu of marinated BBQ steak tips, grilled swordfish, Key lime chicken, potatoes with onions, grilled vegetables, cornbread, "cherry bomb" salad, etc. For cocktail hour, we did bacon-wrapped scallops, sesame chicken skewers and chowder with oyster crackers, which was a hit! And the price was great, too.

Regarding photographers, I'm not sure what "not too expensive" means for you - for some it's less than $1,000; for others that means less than $5,000. I love, love A Brilliant Photo (http://www.abrilliantphoto.com/) and her package was the best bang for the buck when I was booking, but she was holding my date for someone and I booked elsewhere. Her packages start at $2,300 and she's fabulous. I also like Molly Anne Bergeron (http://mollyannesphotos.net/) and Blueflash (http://www.blueflashphotography.com). David Bibeault always gets good reviews, too.
    Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Morin's at Rhodes on the Pawtuxet on 09-25-2010.  The food and service were both fantastic.  We worked with Abbie to customize our menu to include a lot of special diet issues (Kosher, Non-gluten, non-dairy, vegetarian etc).  I am still hearing nice things about the wedding three mos. later. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually have a few people/guests who are  vegans/vegitarians,so it would be great to have someone who can accommodate many different food types. I am sure most of them probably do.I think I may check into Morins. Do you think it is still a good idea to check out the bridal shows?
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bridal shows are great for ideas.   Go and enjoy yourself.  Get lots of cards from vendors and then make your wedding your own.  

Be careful who you take to the Bridal Show.  It was great time for Mom and I.  My MOH went into information overload and wanted to do everything at every bridal show.

In addition to a good venue, you may want flowers, limousines, photography, videography, lighting designers, dance lessons, a patisserie (baker), a chocolatier, or  you may want none of that and do it all yourself.   Bridal Shows are great for getting ideas but you do not have to do everything in a bridal show.

We picked over all the ideas and picked out what was good for us.   We skipped some elements that some family thought we should have and added in some details that left people confused.   

It was uniquely our own and we all had fun. 
  • Options
    Bunnybride79Bunnybride79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What city are you getting married in?  I would recommend checking into West Bay Gourmet...they could be perfect for a backyard sort of wedding. We are using them for our wedding June 23, and they have been absolutely wonderful so far. Had our tasting last week and the food was GREAT.  I checked into Morins too but found it to be significantly more expensive than West Bay Gourmet.  Good luck! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards