Virginia

Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg???

Is anyone getting married or been married at the Kingsmill Resort?  I am interested in visiting it, but do not want to make the drive all the way there (3 hours) unless its worth getting married there.  Also does anyone know the typical cost of a wedding there?

Re: Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg???

• tuliplexietuliplexie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I toured there, and we were definitely not impressed.  The cost depends on time of year/day of week, but for our Saturday June wedding of about 120 people, they said the food and beverage minimum was $22,000. For what it's worth, this was in our budget, and my FI and I went in half-expecting that nothing else would compare once we visited.

Throughout our tour, we noticed how dated the place was.  I think Kingsmill is one of those places that used to be very nice, but now is in desperate need of renovation.  While there is a river view in the ballrooms, it's far away (past some very wide golf course greens) and you can't set up the room so that the view is a focus.  The rain backup for outdoor ceremonies are some very generic business conference rooms.  The furniture for the outdoor cocktail hour were the plastic patio chairs you can buy at Wal-Mart (which is fine, but not for the price you're paying).  They try to sell you  on the fact that your wedding can be totally customized (i.e. no packages), but then they nickel and dime you on everything.  For example, it was $1.50 per plain cloth napkin, etc.  Also, part of the reason I was intereted in Kingsmill was because I pictured both of our out-of-town families hanging out and enjoying the resort.  I had no idea how spread out the place is (over a mile between some of the rooms/the main resort).  They do provide a free shuttle, but the layout of the resort didn't fit my vision of everyone being together.  Also, the rooms were expensive (starting at $200/night I believe), and like everything else, very dated. 

Overall, Kingsmill is....fine.  Just fine.  But in my opinion, it's totally not worth the cost.  They will email you information if you want, and they'll even tel you what your minimum will be.  Good luck in your search!
  • edited December 2011

I haven't yet visited so I am really happy and glad to hear your input.   I just spoke to Kingsmill on the phone (very nice) and got the pricing, just what you said it was.  The negatives you mentioned would also be negatives to me, to my style, etc.  I love the idea of having a Coordinator/Planner who can help pull it all together,  included in the price.   I've decided to AT LEAST hire a Coordinator for the DAY OF..Don't know what full blown Planners charge.  
    Back to the venue...what other properties have you visited and have you found something PERFECT yet ?  :-D   Do tell!     I just started looking.   We live in Hampton and want to get married somewhere in the area.   
    Thanks, Noel

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards