Illinois-Chicago
Options

Wedding Cakes

Hi All,

Im trying to square away the bakery that will do the cake for our May wedding. I know that there are hundreds of choices in the city but am looking for some recs on people that you've used. I'm trying to keep prices reasonable (ie staying away from the likes of The Cake Girls, Amy Beck etc).

Does anyone have suggestions of who you used for your city wedding that didn't break the bank?

Thanks in advance,
Katie

Re: Wedding Cakes

• Options
    stephasuasustephasuasu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went with Rolf's Patisserie in Lincolnwood. They were amazing, and really made our cake experience nice. You have your consultation in a room that has several wedding cakes set up. Then you get to taste 8 or so cakes and 25 or so fillings. It was so fun!  

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    On any other day I would agree with PP regarding the Rolf's recommendation.  However, in light of recent news events, you might want to wait until the dust settles:

http://babyboomeradvisorclub.com/2010/12/25/rolfs-patisserie-%EF%BB%BFbaked-goods-recalled/

On the other hand, to regain some business down the road, they may be more flexible on their pricing!
  • Options
    Golfer09Golfer09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had Vanille Patisserie do my wedding cake and they were very reasonable.  I had heard that they stopped doing cakes but it doesn't hurt to ask.  We had a main cake but had Vanille also provide a sheet cake to serve (you pay mostly for the design and presentation) - our guests really had no idea at the end of the day.

Now that I have a LO, I have been shopping for reasonable bakeries for our baptism reception.  I have read good things about Patisserie P and am planning on having a consultation with them.  The owner comes from pedigree and they are pretty reasonable price wise.  Check out reviews on Yelp. 

Other bakeries I had considered when shopping for wedding cakes included Le Royale in Oak Park (recommended by a photographer we had interviewed) and Bittersweet.
    Our wedding SDE: Our wedding Feature: PW=demo
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Domino's on Harlem in Chicago (right on the Elmwood Park border) makes very good, reasonably priced wedding cakes.  My family has always gone there for cakes for baptisms, first communions, graduations and we got the groom's cake for the RD there.  I think they were around $2.00-2.50 a slice. 

For the wedding cake, we used Marie Roesler from Western Springs.  She's been making wedding cakes out of her home for ~20 years and makes amazing cakes in unique flavor combinations.  She was $3.50 per slice.  PM me if you want her contact info.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We haven't booked anyone yet but we had a tasting with Luscious Layers and we thought the cakes were awesome (tons of unique flavors/fillings) and the price is pretty reasonable. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sarah's Candies has fabulous cakes and cupcakes.  http://www.sarahscandies.com/

She has a shop at the Macy's on State Street and a shop on Oak Street.
  • Options
    eBeast15eBeast15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Aracely's.  Aracely is awesome, if you bring in an example of a cake you want she will tell you whether it can be done or not and what is best!  Plus they are reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards