Tennessee

Petition to Change Name

Hi Y'All,

In preparation of all my name change materials, I came across a website that mentioned to LEGALLY change your name, I need to file a Petition to Change Name with the county (I'm in Shelby county if that helps) or state. I thought just changing all of my records (Social Security Card, Passport, License, etc) was sufficient. Is there something else I have to do??

TIA!

Re: Petition to Change Name

• edited December 2011
    From my understanding, you have to start with the state & then go on to get your legal documents changed.  Here's a link to the TN Dept of Safety & their instructions:

-Crystal
  • mwhitson14mwhitson14 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that you have to have a petition to name change if you're getting married, I think that's for any other reason you might want to change it, like adoption or something.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • opalsky007opalsky007 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_tennessee_petition-change-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:125Discussion:b4c72112-c9df-495a-a7fb-51a8d773c115Post:35c94e29-eab5-426e-90a6-5340ed740ab2">Re: Petition to Change Name</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think that you have to have a petition to name change if you're getting married, I think that's for any other reason you might want to change it, like adoption or something.
    Posted by mwhitson14[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, this is right. I changed my name in MA, not TN, but the first step is always to change your name with social security. All they need is proof of your old name (birth certificate, passport, etc.) and your marriage certificate. After changing with SS, you should be able to change your name everywhere else by the same process.
  • edited December 2011
    If you are just going to change your last name to your FI's last name -- easy.  If you are going to keep your First name and use your maiden name as your new middle name and then take on your FI's last name -- easy.

If you want to drop your first name and use your middle name as your new first name and keep your last name as middle then take on your FI's last name -- that's when you'll need the petition.

I've never in my life gone by my first name and have always gone by my middle name.  After our wedding I went to the Social Security office to try to drop my first name and go by my middle name / old last name / new last name and they wouldn't let me do it without a court order.  I've been married for 1 year this weekend and am still in the process and have spent hundreds of $$ in lawyer fees and will be paying court fees and other misc fees (you have to run it in the newspaper as a public notice twice in NJ) to get this done.

Oh.. and I'm from Memphis originally but live in NJ now. 

HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    to use your married last name all you need to do is go to the SS office with BC, ML, and SS card. Done! Then take new SS card, ML and BC along with2 proofs of residency to the Shelby Cnty DMV. Done!
    Robin-parenting 7 children and planning our vow renewal! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards