Christian Weddings
Options

Hurricane Irene

Hey girls,

I'd like to take a minute and pray (and to ask you to pray) for all of the people who are/will be affected by hurricane Irene. We have never gotten a hurricane in NY in my lifetime. The last one made landfall when my mother was pregnant with me. We are very ill prepared for hurricanes up here since they do come so infrequently. I'm going to start stocking up on the basic essentials when I get out of work. "She's" supposed to be making an appearance by tomorrow night up here, and I know is already leaving her mark on the south.

I pray that damage isn't too bad. That few if any people are hurt. And that FI and I can survive this thing together on our own for the first time.

I work in a hospital and we are preparing for the worst here. The bad news is, that no matter how horrible the storm gets and how strong the winds get- I'll have to be traveling to work all weekend in it. They need my help here more than ever.

TIA for your prayers!
There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Hurricane Irene

• Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a native Floridian, I've been through a ton of hurricanes and know how scary they can be. I will be praying for you! 

PLEASE please please get yourself prepared- make sure you fill up a few containers of gas, have plenty of food, water (fill up your bath tub), and a plan for getting in contact with others-- sometimes the phone towers are down for days. Also, either eat or dispose of any perishable foods. It goes bad quick. 

You driving scares me- if it is that bad, please just stay at the hospital. Don't commute if the conditions are too bad.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Like I said, hurricane prep comes natural to us Floridians. 

Again, praying. Please update us, if you can, when the storm passes. 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Praying.  All of my dad's side of the family lives on Long Island.

A hosptial is probably one of the safest places you could be.

I agree with Faith Caitlin that you shouldn't drive, but make sure you fill up your car with gas.  If you power goest out, it's a real pain to find a gas station with a generator.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to add that even if the storm is no longer raging when you need to drive, the roadways are incredibly dangerous. Streetlights are usually out which always makes for accidents, powerlines are down (one of my friends was killed because she accidentially walked into a powerline), there is usually debris that makes driving conditions dangerous...

I don't mean to lecture but I just want you to be safe!!! 

Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just called my grandma.  She said everyone south of Sunrise Highway is supposed to evacuate.  She and my Aunt Lynn are, so they're going out to Levittown to stay with my Uncle Brian.  I feel like Levittown isn't going to be much better though. :/
  • Options
    SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh geez. Ok Thanks so much Faith for all the tips. I am sure to do every one of those things. And Jenn, I didn't hear about the evacuation south of Sunrise Hwy. My parents are just north of there, so they won't be evacuating I guess, but FI and I are smack in Hicksville so we should be ok.... Although it scares me that there is literally no way to LEAVE long island should we ALL need to evacuate. Hopefully we all stay safe. And, I have a feeling I'm going to get stuck staying the weekend at the hospital whether I like it or not. I'll remember to pack some toothpaste and a toothbrush.
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So sorry about this!  I wouldn't know what to do for a hurricane either. I'm glad FaithCaitlin gave such great tips! I will pray for your safety and the safety of others. Keep checking in with us so we know you are okay. 

Weird weather lately. There was an earthquake in Virginia the other day and a lot of people I know felt it here in Pittsburgh. Earthquake?! I have never EVER heard of an earthquake here (not that I can remember). My mom said people at work wanted to leave and I heard some businesses downtown evacuated. Crazy! 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we felt that earthquake all the way up here in long island too. People freaked out a little. To have an earthquake and a hurricane in one week is completely unheard of in NY. Everyone is panicking and I know its like the worst thing we can do. I'm trying to remain calm and make a list of all the things I need to do to prepare.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_hurricane-irene?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:6abee8e3-fbf1-4e2e-8b72-2a7c61a12116Post:d861ba7c-b893-40da-b308-f1b0f5eb7444">Re: Hurricane Irene</a>:
    [QUOTE]So sorry about this!  I wouldn't know what to do for a hurricane either. I'm glad FaithCaitlin gave such great tips! I will pray for your safety and the safety of others. Keep checking in with us so we know you are okay.  Weird weather lately. There was an <strong>earthquake in Virginia</strong> the other day and a lot of people I know felt it here in Pittsburgh. Earthquake?! I have never EVER heard of an earthquake here (not that I can remember). My mom said people at work wanted to leave and I heard some businesses downtown evacuated. Crazy! 
    Posted by AshNoel8[/QUOTE]

My Grandma felt the earthquake on Long Island!  She said her chair was shaking.  The aunt's building in NY was evacuated as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alright, I've lived through so many hurricanes I've lost count, including Katrina.  So let's get started, lol.

Faith gave good advice, definitely take it.

I work in a hospital as well, and my mom has been a nurse since I was 5.  She is actually REQUIRED to stay in the hospital in case a hurricane falls on her shift, which is the protocol for all hospitals around here.  I recommend you look into that.

Take comfort that Irene seems to want to skirt the coast instead of make landfall, and as "she" goes north into colder waters and has land along "her" west side, "she" will steadily weaken.  Not to mention that the west side of any hurricane is always the weakest side.

The biggest threat is always flooding.  Avoid areas that typically hold water when it rains.

Know that gas prices WILL go up and you will have trouble getting it.  Get some NOW.

PACK your refridgerator and freezer as full as you can pack them with food or even just ice.  That way it's insulated if the power goes out and your food won't spoil.  When the power does go out, avoid opening the fridge.

Keep an eye on the weather reports!  Yes they can be a little scary to watch, but hurricanes can spawn weak tornadoes, and you need to know if one is coming.

I think that's everything.  I'll be praying!
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, also.  Some people try to put duct tape in an X on their windows hoping it will prevent them from shattering.  That is a MYTH.  All you will have are sticky windows.  Either board them up properly or just move away from them.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Amanda, I appreciate everyone's help. Update so far: 3 Major hospitals located closest to the water have been evacuated. We are getting a big influx of patients. They are trying to discharge as many patients as possible to make room for the influx and (god forbid new ones, from damage). The hospital has just had rounds to update everyone on the plans. If we are scheduled to work the weekend (which I am) they have arranged for sleeping quarters for everyone. It looks like I'll be staying here at the hospital one or two nights, depending on the severity of the hit. I'll call my mom on my lunch break, see what their plan of action is, and possibly send FI over there tomorrow afternoon to stay with them for the weekend, if I get stuck staying here all weekend.
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any advice, but I'm praying for you. Glad you're staying at the hospital instead of driving. Be safe!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So so glad you're staying at the hospital!!

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay hospital sleep over!...... not! hahaha But we've already had people call out saying "no way i'll get there, sorry" which is actually against policy, but I promised my bosses I'll be here the whole weekend if they need me and FI will be spending the weekend with my parents.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just saw that Mayor Bloomberg has ordered an evacuation of all low-lying areas of NYC. I hope anyone is the path of the storm will be able to leave and be safe. I would not play around with this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One of my best friends lives in Queens. She will find out either tonight by midnight or tomorrow morning by 8 am if they have to evacuate to a local high school. She said she thought Long Island already evacuated, but I guess not all of it did since you are still there haha. Keep her in your prayers too because she doesn't have any idea what a hurricane is like (neither do I). Her name is Carrie. 
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    Stay safe everyone.  I think a lot of people in my area are overreacting a bit, I do feel so for anyone who is in the direct path of Irene.  The events of this week remind me of Matthew 24 (Jesus speaks of the end times) and my mind starts wandering.  

I hope everyone stays smart and takes any necessary steps to keep safe.
  • Options
    xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_hurricane-irene?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:6abee8e3-fbf1-4e2e-8b72-2a7c61a12116Post:0080350b-cf93-4b35-b787-a8f2c6525e74">Re: Hurricane Irene</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yay hospital sleep over!...... not! hahaha But we've already had people call out saying "no way i'll get there, sorry" which is actually against policy, but I promised my bosses I'll be here the whole weekend if they need me and FI will be spending the weekend with my parents.
    Posted by SoonToBeGenao[/QUOTE]

<div>wow that's hard that you have to stay and do that, but I guess someone does :\  My workmate's husband works at a NY hospital and he's on duty, so she was so nervous yesterday.</div><div>
    </div><div>well I'm here in Jersey. A little nervous about the wind, but I think I'm inland enough. The river nearby might flow into the roads and our basement usually gets a bit of water during storms, so hopefully the power doesn't go out so the sump does it's pumping! We stocked up on water and nonperishable/no-cook foods. Leaving phones on charge, candles & flashlights at hand, keeping an eye on the weather...</div><div>
    </div><div>My prayers go out to you and your family! </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA we felt the earthquake here too! well, I didnt lol but everyone else at work did! I got in from lunch and they were like are you ok? and i was like yeah why? lol</div><div>
    </div><div><span style="color:#000000;font-family:Times;line-height:normal;font-size:medium;" class="Apple-style-span"><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_hurricane-irene?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:6abee8e3-fbf1-4e2e-8b72-2a7c61a12116Post:9b2c041f-04da-47f0-bada-90d0c173b555">Re: Hurricane Irene</a>:
    [QUOTE] The events of this week remind me of Matthew 24 (Jesus speaks of the end times) and my mind starts wandering. 
    Posted by iamjoesgurl[/QUOTE]
    </div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;">
    </div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;">Same here. May still be several more years or decades, may be in a minute, but it's a reminder for sure. Time to wake up to the Light of Christ!</div></span></div>

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards