Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Dances...

Is it weird to not have a father/daughter dance and possibly no "first dance" as bride and groom either?  My dad is willing to do the father/daughter dance if I want to, but neither him or I really want to do it.  We don't really want to be center of attention being stared at and on top of it, having to dance when neither of us are dancers! lol  I just don't love the idea of being in the center of the room and everyone staring at dancing, when I'm not really much of a dancer.  My groom isn't either.  I feel like we would end up doing the same dance style the entire time.  I would rather dance with my father and groom by our own choices with everyone else during the reception, or when we want to.  Is it weird to just not do the dances?  We are having a casual reception, no assigned seating, and buffet style eat, so it IS casual.  Is anyone else skipping any of the dances? 

Re: Dances...

• Options
    Nope, I've been to a lot of weddings that didn't have any.  The guests didn't miss them; they are more for the parents and couple than anyone else.
  • Options
    we're skipping the father/daughter and mother/son dances. my father took off long ago and although i love my stepfather, he came into my life when i was 25, so it would feel odd to dance with him. i gave my fiance the option on a mother/son dance and although they have a good relationship, he doesn't want to have the dance. overall i don't think anyone will notice or say anything. we're still going to have our first dance, though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We were just going to do the first dance and skip the spotlight dances, but we've now cut dancing entirely.  As a guest, the spotlight dances get very boring, very quickly.

If you'd feel weird about skipping them, the first dance of the night could start with just you and your FI on the floor for maybe 30 seconds, then you could open it up for your guests to join you.  (Maybe the WP could bring their dates out on the floor to signal that dancing is open, or the DJ could just announce it.)  That way you still have a moment, but it won't feel long and drawn-out.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    We're thinking of combining the spotlight dances into one.  Having me and my dad, and FH and his mom for the same dance.  That way they are still there, but it's has more flow for the guests.
  • Options
    At first I did not want to do any dances, and now FI and I are just doing a first dance. You absolutely do not need to do one, though. However, if you are really uncomfortable with dancing, perhaps a ballroom dancing class would help?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards