Military Brides

Thinking about joining.

My current boyfriend and I have been together going on 4 years, we ARE getting married, just haven't set a date, and I don't want to get engaged and have everyone expect a wedding within a year, so we're putting that off as well. We currently live together, and we're both attending college. I'm going to school to be a pharmacist and he's working on an MBA. I'm seriously thinking of joining either the air force or the navy to work as a pharmacist. I've tried to talk to a few recruiters and none of them really seem to know specifics for a pharmacist in the military. I know I would be an officer and since we would be married he would be able to come with me if we were to be relocated. I also know that my salary would not be comparable to simply working as a retail pharmacist outside the military, however I don't really care. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. If all goes well i'd like to retire from the military. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Thinking about joining.

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I recently graduated with my BA and am planning to become an Officer of Marines. My SO is enlisted (which means we would have to break up if we're not married if I commission), so once we make a firm decision about the when of our wedding, I'll go ahead and restart the application process. I hope to go career as well.

Best advice I can give you is to go to a recruiter (an officer recruiter/selections officer) and ask that they try and put you in contact with someone who currently IS a pharmacist in the Air Force or Navy (always capitalize branch names). Do you have ROTC where you're attending grad school? It's worth a talk with them as well, depending on how far you are from graduation, you can end up in that program (with summer trainings) and commissioned at graduation. Even if that's not workable, I bet they'll be able to get you in contact with someone who has the job you want. My Officer Selections Office was able to put me on a Marine Corps sponsored flight (where I actually got to do a little flying because I originally wanted an air contract). My OSO was big on people getting some mentoring before choosing their contract, and I'm so glad, because now I am firmly wanting a ground contract. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need to get in touch with a medical officer recruiter (at least that is on the Navy side).  That is what I did.  Unfortunately my degree doesn't apply so I'm going for my masters in physician assistant to try again.  I'm not sure about the Army side, though.

Edited: I say medical officer recruiter because someone who is strictly an officer recruiter will recruit people for positions in flight, supply, legal, etc.  Those officers to go OCS (a 12 week course that focuses on developing leadership skills because your number one job is to be a leader).  Medical officers go to OIS (an 8 week course that focuses on indoctrinating you into the Navy...teaching you how to wear your uniform, Navy traditions, etc. because your number one job is to be a medical provider). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My bad you said Air Force...got my A's mixed up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    My husbands recruiter was an Air Force pharm tech for 8 years and really enjoyed his job.
    http://www.airforce.com/opportunities/healthcare/careers/allied-health/pharmacist/

There is some information and a link to contact an advisor. Also, like Stan said, your recruiter should be able to put you in contact with an AD Pharmacist.
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely contact a medical recruiter, as the previous posters have said. They will be able to help you out a lot more specifically than the regular recruiting offices can. I would also reccommned setitng up a visit at one of the Navy and/or Air Force medical centers to talk to pharmacist and make sure that it is something you want to do. This is a great experience to see the lifestyle, facilities, and ask a ton of questions. I did this and it really confirmed the decision for me. I am in medical school and am a commissioned officer in the Army Reserves. I am going on active duty the day after graduation. I love everything I've done with the Army so far, and I am really excited for the upcoming opportunities I will have once I am practicing. When you talk to the recruiter and they put you in contact with some pharmacists, ask them the specifics about salary. I know Army physicians generally end up making more than their civilian peers because you will get money for a housing allowance, bonuses, etc. So, don't be too concerned with not making enough money, they will take care of you. That being said, money is not a reason to join the military, but it sounds like you know that. Good luck with your decision, and make sure you ask lots of questions before you make a final decision. Also, a common misconception among medical personel is that you won't get deployed because of what you do. This is 100% not true. Once you are done with school and training, you are completely deployable, even as a pharmacist. Be aware of that going into things.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks to everyone! I at least have some direction now! I was completely lost on who to talk to or where to go! Again THANK YOU!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Just wanted to say good luck. As a military female I encourage your entrance to the armed forces. I have been enlisted for just under 6 years and highly reccomend joining! Congrats!
    Two uniforms, Two Hearts, One love.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards