Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Name Changing

When should I begin changing my name at important places such as the bank, electric company, work? Do I being before the wedding or wait until after we get back from the honeymoon?

Re: Name Changing

• Options
    You won't be able to do it before the wedding, because you won't be married yet. 

After you get back from the honeymoon, check with the Clerk's Office (or whoever handles marriages in your county) and get a certified copy of your marriage certificate.  Once you have that, go to the Social Security Office first, then your driver's license agency, and start contacting everyone else - employer, banks, insurance company, credit cards, student loans, etc.  Most will ask you to fax the certified copy of the marriage certificate but some won't.

Be sure that you book any flights that require ID for the honeymoon in your maiden name because there's no way you'll have your name changed that fast.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-changing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f3d8e121-cb6d-441c-b20d-422c1d801052Post:9a04e9ba-051e-4330-81f9-2e191781df43">Re: Name Changing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Related question: I am getting married in September and honeymooning as early as March.  Is that realistically enough time to get my name changed and get a new passport?
    Posted by nhelene[/QUOTE]

Probably, but I wouldn't chance it. Do you already have a passport? You can just change your name on your license and everything else but leave your passport alone and book the trip in your maiden name.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    My passport is expired... which means I would have to pay for a new one, then pay for another new one when I do change my name.
    murrayed
  • Options
    Technically, in most states you do not have to be married to change your name. You could change your name to Hortense Hingleschmidt tomorrow for no real reason at all.  :)

So if you're that worried, you could either change it before the wedding (in time to get your passport, etc), or just wait until after the honeymoon to do the official paperwork.

• Options
    mushEmushE member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-changing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f3d8e121-cb6d-441c-b20d-422c1d801052Post:a1bc2024-a010-4cdd-acdd-262757c5d6d2">Re: Name Changing</a>:
    [QUOTE]My passport is expired... which means I would have to pay for a new one, then pay for another new one when I do change my name.

I believe you have a year after issuance or reissuance where you can change your name for free.  So, you'd be fine if you got it reissued in your new name now, and then can change your name and get it reissued for free after the wedding.

6 months should be enough time to get your name changed.  I'd be worried about having 1 name for your other ID and credit cards, and a different name on your passport. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-changing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f3d8e121-cb6d-441c-b20d-422c1d801052Post:8a36e7c6-86a7-4045-8c2b-3bd352e8179e">Re: Name Changing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Technically, in most states you do not have to be married to change your name. You could change your name to Hortense Hingleschmidt tomorrow for no real reason at all.  :) So if you're that worried, you could either change it before the wedding (in time to get your passport, etc), or just wait until after the honeymoon to do the official paperwork.
    Posted by tracy_k[/QUOTE]

Not without a court order.  You can't just walk into the SS office and say "I want to change my name to ZYA"  I don't think so anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am getting married in January and going on our honeymoon in June and I'll be renewing my passport right after the wedding.  Six months is PLENTY of time to get a passport.  Just remember that if you need to get visas for your trip you will need to send off your passport to the embassy or consulate so factor that time in as well. 

Also, the knot offers a kit to help you change your name.  It looks really helpful with guides and forms and such.
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Options
    yeah.... I'd just wait until after the Honeymoon to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    Just wait until after the HM to change it. I'm not sure about everywhere else, but my state makes you provide that marriage certificate to change your name ... and you can't get that until after you're actually married.

As for those "name change kits" somebody reccommended, I invested in one, and I don't really feel it was worth it. The kit is just an online download of the forms you'd have to fill out, and you can get these forms at whatever place you're at (Like the SS form that downloads is the same exact form you'll find at the SS office). The DMV one really ticked me off, because I'd filled out and printed the online one, brought it to the DMV, and they made me fill out a new one by hand anyway (It only took 5 minutes, but after what I got charged for the kit, I was annoyed).

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-changing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f3d8e121-cb6d-441c-b20d-422c1d801052Post:a1bc2024-a010-4cdd-acdd-262757c5d6d2">Re: Name Changing</a>:
    [QUOTE]My passport is expired... which means I would have to pay for a new one, then pay for another new one when I do change my name.

If you change it within a year, they don't charge you, according to the state department.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards