Gay Weddings

Same-sex marriage likely dead in Maryland for this year.

Here is the story.

Even if it passes next year, there will likely be a referendum that same year on whether to keep it. Currently, people in Maryland are in favor of same-sex marriage by 51% to 41%. But so far, same-sex marriage has not survived a referendum in any state. The horrifying (albeit untrue) ads start, and people respond.

I feel frustrated enough that my marriage is subject to disapproval by popular vote. (Just how many people would want to see their marriages voted up or down by the public?) And doubly so when I learn that not even half of the legislature in a reasonably liberal state is willing to vote in my favor.

Re: Same-sex marriage likely dead in Maryland for this year.

• K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sucks, we had a failed run for it last year before our current terrible governor was elected and it fell short on votes in our State Senate. What really got me was that some members of the Senate opted not to vote, as if a civil rights issue wasn't worth their time. We have Civil Unions in NJ, but they're a huge failure. While they provide many more rights than we had previously, there's still discrimination. The word "marriage" means something and people take it a lot more seriously.

Hopefully Maryland will get it's act together for next year!

Photobucket
  • m00siem00sie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is sad 2dBride :(

On the whole I think people are becoming more tolerant, and therefore more pro gay marriage but it seems to be taking forever for the majority to come around.

At least you guys have states where gay marriage is legal. We're still working on it over here! I refuse to enter into a civil union on principle lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards