Michigan-Lansing

House in the Woods

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has taken a look at the House in the Woods in DeWitt. My fiance and I seriously considering it for both our ceremony and reception next May or June. Does anyone have experience with it??

We toured the place and loved the grounds. The owners were incredibly nice and made us feel like they would do everything they could. Basically anything they have that would be useful to us we would have access to. They would even be the DJ and bar tenders at no extra charge.

The only thing that concerned me was that I kept asking, "OK great! So what *would* I be responsible for? What do I need to make sure I bring and not count on you guys for?" And I just couldn't get a straight answer other than "decorations". They are very genuine people so I know they weren't trying to be difficult I think they were just being old men, ya know? They're not thinking like a bride and I don't blame them :) But for example I asked about champagne flutes or if we should bring our own and he got very excited and brought his out to show off - but they were big red wine glasses.

I don't mean to sound negative. I love the place and love the people, they were so nice and generous! I just didn't walk away with a very clear idea of what I'd be getting into. But I really want it to work!

Does anyone else have any experience with them?

Thanks in advance :)
Susie

Re: House in the Woods

• edited December 2011
    I'm actually having my wedding there this summer on June 26. If you want to email me or PM me, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions and would be willing to share how it went afterwards as well.

gross_johnson_wedding at yahoo dot com
  • kate ukate u member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello,
    I've coordinated multiple weddings at HIW B and B, as well as been apart of 2 weddings there.  You need to be incredibly specific on the items you need.  China, flatware, goblets, flutes, tablecloths, napkins, how many chairs, how many tables and what dimensions, where the cake table and gift table, and guest book table will be.  They can get everything you need, but you need to tell them EXACTLY what you want, otherwise those details will fall short, and it will leave you and them scurrying around trying to find substitutes at the last minute.  It ALL needs to be in the contract on paper.

I caution you though, last September the tent they used to hold 300 people had two huge blue crosses on it (my company put together huge hanging chandeliers to try to draw the eye away) and you definitely need to bring in your own decorations.  They rent metal folding chairs and my company also rented them chair covers.  In order to make it work, you need a lot of things brought in.

I'd be happy to discuss things in more detail if you want to email me at kate@ele3events.com

• edited December 2011
    Thanks so much Kate! Just sent you an e-mail :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards