Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Polish and American tradition question

Hi girls,

I need some help. I`m 100% Polish and MF is 100% American. We are getting married here and MF wants 95% of the wedding to be American, which is fine with me. My parents and my sister are coming from Poland for the wedding as well. My dilemma is about the dance. In polish tradition, there isn`t father/daughter dance. The tradition is to say "thank you" to the parents and play a song for them. However, I like that idea of father/daughter song and would like to do it. MY will also do the son/mom song. His father past away 2 years ago. I don`t want to leave my Mom alone thought. My thought was to thank both parents during the rehearsal dinner and just do f/d song and s/m song. What your thoughts? Should I do something different? Would that be ok for my Mom? Of course, I will talk to her about it but I need your opinions as well. I don`t want to do three parents songs during the wedding because I know how "boring" it could be for the guests. I kind of want to combine both traditions and don`t hurt anybody`s feelings. Please help!! Any idea would be helpful and greatly appreciate!!!!

Thank you so much

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Polish and American tradition question

• Options
    Typically, the Mother of the Bride is honored by wearing a corsage and being the first to be seated during the processional before the ceremony.  Then at the reception, the bride dances with her Dad and the groom dances with his Mom.  You really don't  need to do anything else for your Mom. 

If you wanted to, you could present her with your bouquet after you dance with your Dad.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ditto dani.

I'm going to speak as someone who was MOB almost a year ago.  =)

I didn't need anything more that day than to be the mom of the beautiful bride.  I didn't feel at all "left out" of anything.  Watching our daughter walk down the aisle, quietyly talking and laughing with her daddy was something I had imagined for years.

And one of the very, very few times I cried that day was watching her dance with her dad during the F/D dance.

Really, being MOB is such a wonderful experience.  I never, ever felt slighted or "cheated" out of anything.  Take a quiet moment, just before your ceremony begins and talk with your mom.  Tell her how much you love her.  That's all that she'll need.

I promise.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Thank you SO MUCH!!!! I feel much better now

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards