Michigan-Detroit

Wedding Flowers

I am getting married in Detroit in May and need to select a florist.  I am trying to have an idea of how much I want to spend before talking with anyone but I have no idea what cost is reasonable.  Any ideas on a range for a wedding of 75 with two groomsmen/bridesmaids?

Chrissy

Re: Wedding Flowers

• edited December 2011
    Silk Thumb Florist in Wyandotte was GREAT to work with - they work with what you want within your budget. (Even though it's called "Silk Thumb -" they used real flowers for my centerpieces, fyi)
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a bit larger wedding party (4 BM, 4 GM)but I ordered online and bought flowers in person from Costco. If any of your family or friends live near a Costco in the Detroit area, it would work.

I ordered the 20 piece white rose wedding package from Costco.com for $399.00. They allow you to change your order if you need fewer centerpieces and want more bouquets, etc. They were LOVELY and lasted over 2 weeks! (Their standard order is 2 BM bouquets, with several centerpieces)

Also, our Costco has a flower kiosk where you can buy lovely floral arrangements for about $17. I asked at the customer service desk and they have an actual florist who does the arranging. They gave me her phone number. I called her and ordered for pickup, 3 days before the wedding, 9 dozen white vendela roses, 70 stems of white asiatic lillies and 2 huge bunches of baby's breath for $177. When I picked them up I was able to see them in person, they were fabulous! She handed them over in buckets that I kept in the basement so they could bloom more, after adding the floral food. I thought I had an exclusive "in" for a floral source. She told me when I picked these up that she does about 18 weddings a week! I don't know if Sam's has the same type of set-up for local stores.

Below is the rose centerpiece, with baby's breath. I used green floral foam inserted in the silver vases I got from a local florist going out of business for $5 each.

This is the centerpiece I made with the Asiatic Lillies (it came with the long grasses) and baby's breath. I purchased "jelly balls" from www.lacrafts.com. Each bag was enough for a 9" tall cylinder vase, they had the cheapest price I could find.

I made all 10 of the centerpieces the morning before the wedding, then put them in the basement to stay cool.

I had a lot of the lillies left over, I overbought. But the thing about lillies is that they open upward.......... the bottom flowers open first, then they open up along the stem. You have to have them at least 3 days before the wedding for that to occur.
  • jhawthorne85jhawthorne85 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Tammara from Grand Jour Events did our wedding. They flowers were fabulous, although we just had bouquets/corsages..no table flowers. Her prices are INCREDIBLY resonable...there is always April Oboza too..She is really resonable.
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • db1985db1985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to go with either Linnaea Floral Designs (she is in Grand Rapids but will travel to anywhere in MI) or A Touch of Glass in Trenton, MI.  We have meetings set up this month to meet in person and decide which.  For an idea of price, we are getting a bridal bouquet, 4 small bridesmaid bouquets, 9 bouts, and 7 coursages with pink roses and gerbara daisies.  Both places have quoted us around $400.

I have also heard good things about Silk Thumb in Wyandotte, but they were quite a bit higher (around $600) so i guess it depends how many flowers you need and what your budget is.
  • larzhopelarzhope member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second April Irelynn Designs....

did all of our bouquets, centerpieces, aisle decor (we had white lillies in little julep cups), bouts, etc.  Everything was amazingly done and insanely cheap.
  • I am using Silk Thumb Florist too. They are a family owned business and are truly amazing to work with. They have centerpieces that start at $15 per table and offer so much helpful information and advice. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards