Honeymoon Discussions

Need recommendations-Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia

FI and I are headed to Bulgaria for a wedding in June (ridiculously excited for my friend's wedding, it's going to be amaaazing), and then will  be spending two weeks following the wedding traveling the region.  We're trying to figure out the details now, but I'd love to hear from others if there are any highlights in any of the places we're traveling that you think we should go (or, if you have recommendations on great places to stay or eat, would love to hear that too).  We'll probably rent a car in Vienna so that we can drive through Bratislava to Budapest, and then hopefully spend about 6 days in Slovenia (FI is suddenly obsessed with Slovenia after seeing pictures of Lake Bled).

Tentative city plans include:
Sofia, Bulgaria
Vienna, Austria
Graz, Austria
Bratislava, Slovakia
Budapest, Hungary
Eger, Hungary (vineyards, yay! day trip)
Ljubljana, Slovenia-currently up for debate; I want to go, FI isn't sold yet
Lake Bled, Slovenia (this is a must on my list)

I need to figure out a) do we want to spend more time in Slovenia?  Looks beautiful, but I want to experience culture and not just hiking.

We're experienced travelers, and usually stay in guest houses or single room hostels where we can interact with the owners and get good advice on where to go.  We enjoy trying new foods, hiking/backpacking (but we're not bringing our camping gear on this trip), but I also want to hit some local bars where we can hang out with locals or expats and really get to know the region.  Definitely interest in wine tastings along the way, and FI wants to see castles (he loves this stuff).

Any recommendations on locations to add, places to stay, things that you wouldn't want to miss out on? 

Re: Need recommendations-Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia

• I haven't been yet, but wanted to say it's a fabulous trip! I have wanted to head to Slovenia for some time now, but we always tend to travel to Europe in the winter (Thankgiving). We were planning on going to Budapest, Bratislavia, Vienna and Salzburg this winter, but may not go now because we're moving. So, I may have to live out my trip through you :)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-recommendations-bulgaria-austria-hungary-slovakia-slovenia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:8d054188-6555-4bc0-b515-b866935392ccPost:04822292-da20-4f02-ad56-e2ac3c34c343">Re: Need recommendations-Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't been yet, but wanted to say it's a fabulous trip! I have wanted to head to Slovenia for some time now, but we always tend to travel to Europe in the winter (Thankgiving). We were planning on going to Budapest, Bratislavia, Vienna and Salzburg this winter, but may not go now because we're moving. So, I may have to live out my trip through you :)
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

<div>I really want to take a Viking RIver Cruise for Christmas this year and do the Christmas markets!!!  I can't wait for Budapest and all the history.  We did Bucharest and Brasov last year in Romania and loved it too-I think this region is just amazing.  I'm wishing I had taken more time off since 16 days just doesn't feel like enough (I'm sure I'll be ready to be home though).</div>
  • We were invited to a wedding in Bulgaria in June!!  Do you know my people?  :-)

We had to back out of going due to finances (we just bought a house and I was - voulntarily - out of work for about a month).  The wedding is at a resort on the Black Sea.  It looks farking amazing and I'm so sad we aren't going.  In the future!  In the future!!!

Have a wonderful time!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-recommendations-bulgaria-austria-hungary-slovakia-slovenia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:8d054188-6555-4bc0-b515-b866935392ccPost:3a9c1635-ca49-40eb-960d-e6496674dd15">Re: Need recommendations-Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were invited to a wedding in Bulgaria in June!!  Do you know my people?  :-) We had to back out of going due to finances (we just bought a house and I was - voulntarily - out of work for about a month).  The wedding is at a resort on the Black Sea.  It looks farking amazing and I'm so sad we aren't going.  In the future!  In the future!!! Have a wonderful time!
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Not at a Black Sea resort but that's definitely a rare coincidence! I just paid my credit card bill for last period which included the tix-glad to have that one out of the way, but wow traveling in June is way more expensive than May (we flew round trip to Istanbul last May for $690 each!). Bulgaria is supposed to be amaaaazing and I can't wait! I will eat and drink everything that is placed in front of, or even relatively close, to me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-recommendations-bulgaria-austria-hungary-slovakia-slovenia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:8d054188-6555-4bc0-b515-b866935392ccPost:83ff57ed-56c9-4c16-a29b-0df230ccfdb1">Re: Need recommendations-Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need recommendations-Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia : I really want to take a Viking RIver Cruise for Christmas this year and do the Christmas markets!!!  I can't wait for Budapest and all the history.  We did Bucharest and Brasov last year in Romania and loved it too-I think this region is just amazing.  I'm wishing I had taken more time off since 16 days just doesn't feel like enough (I'm sure I'll be ready to be home though).
    Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

I chose my itinerary based on the river cruise itinerary! I wasn't sure if we'd be happy on the cruise, so I decided to do it by rail instead. Look at me, acting like I'm going. LOL Hopefully we can still go somewhere over Thanksgiving, but I won't be able to tell until after we're in our home.

• I don't have anything to really add about visiting other places that you mentioned - however, I have been to Graz and it was magical!  Definitely climb the clock tower!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-recommendations-bulgaria-austria-hungary-slovakia-slovenia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:8d054188-6555-4bc0-b515-b866935392ccPost:73a8634a-fa5d-4f0a-a286-c5387c3c9f71">Re: Need recommendations-Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have anything to really add about visiting other places that you mentioned - however, I have been to Graz and it was magical!  Definitely climb the clock tower!
    Posted by katieschellinger[/QUOTE]

Thanks! We weren't sure if we were going to go to Graz, but I showed FI a bunch of pics online and convinced him we'll stop on our way to Slovenia, and he was pretty much sold. Clock tower on the list.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards