Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

The Name Change Game.

2»

Re: The Name Change Game.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-change-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:3d35b159-0771-4f09-8f3a-f8460f6572c3Post:e5681609-3a5a-473d-b47e-32abfdc8b027">Re: The Name Change Game.</a>:
    [QUOTE] I just can't imagine NEVER thinking about it and never leaning one way or the other until you are about to get married.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

We're girls! We are supossed to think of this stuff. I assume 90% of the people here, even the ones who don't want to change their names, practiced writing their name adding the last name of their crush when they were little.

June 2011 Siggy Challenge: Shoes! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-change-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:3d35b159-0771-4f09-8f3a-f8460f6572c3Post:a42490a1-5683-454c-ae2d-0c2ba4a975ef">Re: The Name Change Game.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Name Change Game. : We're girls! We are supossed to think of this stuff. I assume 90% of the people here, even the ones who don't want to change their names, practiced writing their name adding the last name of their crush when they were little.
    Posted by lcsa99[/QUOTE]

I always found that creepy and disturbing.  No thank you.
  • I absolutely cannot wait to take on my FI last name. I want to change it so that we can be our own family and start everything together as one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As many of the ladies have posted, I too have always dreamed of taking my husband's name.  This has never been a real issue with me because first, I'm a die-hard traditionalist (somewhat rare today) and the industry I work in (military) is very traditionalist so everyone assumes I'll change names.  In fact, since I work with my husband in the same office, most of our shop teases us saying that they'll be two Capt LaFords in November - male-type and female-type!  I think it's a great tradition for designating a family - just because its a new name doesn't mean you've lost your identity... its a shame that some industries seem to force that opinion...
  • I personally think it would be neat to combine both the bride and groom's last names in such a way to create an entirely new one. :)  I would like to do this when my FI and I get married next year. For me, it's symbolic of taking two seperate lives and creating a new chapter of partnership.Smile
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-change-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:3d35b159-0771-4f09-8f3a-f8460f6572c3Post:be08062f-81c4-4b90-b833-d89333219697">Re: The Name Change Game.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the idea of being a social and family unit. It never crossed my mind not to take my FI's name when we marry. I wouldn't want to have a different last name than my husband or my future children, it would just make everything confusing.
    Posted by SuMmErKuTiE[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Exactly this. </div><div>
    </div><div>I will be Amy Maiden HLastName. I love my current last name, but I'm changing it anyway. 

</div>
    imageimage
  • I am going to hyphen my last name ONLY because I have children and I want to keep my maiden name so that they still feel a connection to me. My mom dropped her maiden name when she married my father and it was no big deal. Unlike my sister. Her husband has his mother's last name but wants to change it to his DEAD father's last name. Why he hasn't done this in 36 years, I have no idea. So my sister still carries her maiden name, and their son, who was born after they were married, has my sister's maiden name. Crazy I know!! I said her husband should just change his last name to her's, but his familky would EAT HIM ALIVE!! LOL!!!
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-change-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:3d35b159-0771-4f09-8f3a-f8460f6572c3Post:2a797245-aab8-4c61-a19f-60ea38283ca4">Re: The Name Change Game.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had decided a LONG time ago that I did not ever plan to change my name.  And I still feel the same, I do not want to.  However, i have learned that my FI really really really really wants me to.  We talked about it and I told him my reasons not to, but he still brings it up kind of jokingly, which is really annoying.  I even started to feel guilty and consider doing it even though I don't to, but then I got mad that he would make me do something I don't want to do.  So I told him I've made the decision and I needed him to stop trying to change my mind.  <sigh />  It is frustrating because I still feel bad, but my name is my identity and I do'nt know why I should have to change it. Thanks for letting me vent!
    Posted by noodle_oo[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you.  Traditionally a woman takes her husbands last name because she becomes his property and while those mindsets arent overt anymore, I still hate what its stands for...  I want to keep mine too I feel you there hunny!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-change-game?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:3d35b159-0771-4f09-8f3a-f8460f6572c3Post:5d177e8d-eb71-49bc-b3a2-b404600bb533">Re: The Name Change Game.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally think it would be neat to combine both the bride and groom's last names in such a way to create an entirely new one. :)  I would like to do this when my FI and I get married next year. For me, it's symbolic of taking two seperate lives and creating a new chapter of partnership.
    Posted by FalStar[/QUOTE]

A friend's friend did this and it works great for them!!  They have a hybrid of all of the letters of there "maiden" last names.  They also gave it to their child.
  • I'm with a lot of you ladies.  I was on the fence for a very long time regarding this issue.  I really thought that if I changed my last name, I would be losing a part of my identity.  I've since decided to change my last name to my FH's last name.  It's a change to this new chapter in our lives!  My maiden name will always be apart of who I am, that will never change!!
    I also stipulated that our first childs first name will be my maiden name (Parker) ...haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards