Missouri-Kansas City

Location stress

I am getting married April 13, 2013 and we are currently trying to decide on ceremony and reception locations. The problem is we live in independence, my family lives mostly in saint Joseph and my Fi family is spread between Kc and Fulton. So where should our event be?

Re: Location stress

• You can't please everybody unfortunately. Just pick a place you love, hopefully one that is nearby a hotel, and block rooms for those who have a far drive and might want to stay.
    Choose a place you and FI love, don't base your decision on where family lives.
  • I guess it's so much easier said than done.. I've found two incredibly perfect venues, one in Saint Joseph and one in Kansas City. But I fear we will limit our guests depending on how far our location is. I know it seems trivial because they're only an hour apart, but in this economy an hour drive is an amount of gas not everyone can splurge on. I just don't want to feel I am excluding people based off the fact I know they aren't able, or willing to make the drive. Still torn
  • Honey, I live in lenexa and my ceremony is in Independence. This friday actually! My friends and family are from all over the country and Kenya. The Cotillion Room & Garden. great location. 

• If you settle on a location in order to please your guests, you will regret it later. And hour is absolutely NOT too much to ask of close friends and family. Given enough notice, those who are most important will be able to budget, save, and carpool if necessary. Has anyone expressed hardship over driving an hour, or are you overthinking it? Bottom line: Do what makes you happy. It's your wedding. Those who mean the most to you will make it happen..
  • No one has claimed hardship, but in discussing our wedding location, my fianc and I have found multiple people on our proposed guest list that we doubt would travel. Prayerfully, all those important to us with make the trip. Those that can't, we understand. Those who won't, well I guess we'll expect a gift in the mail ;..
  • drotich I will have to look up the Cotilion Room, never heard of it
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_missouri-kansas-city_location-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:82Discussion:828b1a57-0347-49ea-b862-d23234d675adPost:9774613b-ab7a-437f-b116-9fc2b6fde160">Re:Location stress</a>:
    [QUOTE]No one has claimed hardship, but in discussing our wedding location, my fianc and I have found multiple people on our proposed guest list that we doubt would travel. Prayerfully, all those important to us with make the trip. Those that can't, we understand. Those who won't, well I guess we'll expect a gift in the mail ;..
    Posted by Mctaerin[/QUOTE]

<div>Talk to those you are most concerned about. Find out if it really would be that much of a hardship. If there's a group of them, could they split the cost of renting a 15passenger van and gas so that they could carpool? My family is traveling from Chicago to Kansas City. My fiance's family has discussed renting a coach bus (like, 50 seats) and hauling the whole family in one trip to lessen the cost. I think that's a great idea! A few of my aunts and uncles have discussed renting RVs and turning it into a road trip. They're making it happen! Also, if you can find someone who has one of those "Entertainment Book" books with the million coupons, there are a TON of coupons in there for car rental, hotels, etc. Many of them are reusable. All you have to do is share the code. Some of my family members are flying and have reserved rental cars for dirt cheap thanks to those coupons. I even posted the codeso on my wedding website. Good luck!
    </div>
  • An hour drive on mostly hiway would be at the most 80 miles (if your family tends to drive fast like mine).  Most cars get around 20 miles to the gallon....that's 4 gallons of gas....$3.50 a gallon....$14.00.  I know money is tight but even I can come up with $15.00 to go to a wedding of a close friend or family member. 

I think you are way overthinking how much of a cost this will be.  If it is that important for you to accomodate your guests pick something halfway between the farthers guests.  I know the Embassy Suites at the airport has a beautiful banquet room.  In Parkville there is The Hawthorne House, very beautiful location.  Both would cut the driving time down to less than an hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards