Snarky Brides
Options

NWR: What kind of circus am I working for?!

So on March 30th the owner of the company I work for called me and the one other person in our office that is on the company health plan (everyone else has been fired at this point) to tell us that he no longer wants to pay for our health care and we have until April 1st to find new coverage. What?! You're telling me this at 3:00 p.m. 2 days before the 1st?! So I stress myself out but finally get a temporary plan that's actually not so bad.. but it gets better...

I got a letter in the mail yesterday that tells me my coverage ended February 1st. Turns out he hadn't paid for our health coverage for over two months but was taking money out of our paychecks for it anyways! I fought for it but one of the managers told me that he's only going to give me money back for March, not February. I don't get it! Why not? Idk what to do!

Sigh. Thanks for listening (reading??) to me vent. Can't lie... so glad I'm moving after the wedding!!!!

Re: NWR: What kind of circus am I working for?!

• Options
    Wow. I would think you should contact someone, I'm not sure who would handle that kind of issue, but I don't think he can cancel your insurance without giving you notice and he certainly shouldn't be taking money out of your paycheck without telling you. I'd go apeshit.
    Random fact: Peru, Ind., a town not far from where I live, is the circus capital of the world.
  • Options
    PaddamillPaddamill member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I would report him to the better business burea. It is illegal to garnish wages without notification. I would flip!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nwr-kind-of-circus-am-working?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f46c72ae-857d-4771-b97e-532fe809a859Post:ee7423dc-9987-42cc-9bd1-15c5252b7220">Re: NWR: What kind of circus am I working for?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would report him to the better business burea. Isn't it illegal to garnish wages without notification?
    Posted by Paddamill[/QUOTE]
    Yes and I think the phrase "garnish" is the issue here.  You had an agreement to work for X amount of dollars and health insurance.  That health insurance costs your employer money and should be considered part of your salary.  He basically cut your salary in February.  I'm glad you are leaving - otherwise I would encourage you to find a labor & employment attorney.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    I feel like this has to be illegal on at least 2 levels.

FYI, my last company pulled that just before they started bouncing paychecks.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nwr-kind-of-circus-am-working?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f46c72ae-857d-4771-b97e-532fe809a859Post:e2044256-7647-4b5b-b2bd-7cfefa7b18d8">Re: NWR: What kind of circus am I working for?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Random fact: Peru, Ind., a town not far from where I live, is the circus capital of the world.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

Wow that's pretty sweet! Even though I'm a little bit scared of the circus... I hate clowns!!

But yeah I was thinking of calling up the Texas Workforce Commission but they have a policy where if you call and file a complaint the company will know who called and exactly what was said. I'm just scared that if I turn him in I'll get fired. Which probably wouldn't make much of a difference because my hours were cut to part time anyway but still. I need whatever hours I can get b/c I'm trying to plan a wedding here!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nwr-kind-of-circus-am-working?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f46c72ae-857d-4771-b97e-532fe809a859Post:0a1d244c-fd37-4a23-adcf-c612a4d99498">Re: NWR: What kind of circus am I working for?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like this has to be illegal on at least 2 levels. FYI, my last company pulled that just before they started bouncing paychecks.
    Posted by xoxob[/QUOTE]

I'm scared of that too. They also owe me for 2 weeks of vacation when I leave and my mom said to ask for it now because they'll probably be bankrupt by June! I'm really, really praying I find work with a better company when I move. I'm officially jaded!
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2010
    That seems like a fuucked up policy. Like, they almost want to punish you for "tattling" on your employer.
    I am deathly afraid of clowns.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nwr-kind-of-circus-am-working?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f46c72ae-857d-4771-b97e-532fe809a859Post:f8167f7c-0799-421e-b38b-5da7c49743eb">Re: NWR: What kind of circus am I working for?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: What kind of circus am I working for?! : Wow that's pretty sweet! Even though I'm a little bit scared of the circus... I hate clowns!! But yeah I was thinking of calling up the Texas Workforce Commission but they have a policy where if you call and file a complaint the company will know who called and exactly what was said. I'm just scared that if I turn him in I'll get fired. Which probably wouldn't make much of a difference because my hours were cut to part time anyway but still. I need whatever hours I can get b/c I'm trying to plan a wedding here!
    Posted by JennaV26[/QUOTE]

You are protected by the Whistleblower statute.  Seriously - they are f*cking you over and you have cause to complain.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah it's a bad policy but in Conservative Texas we're all about backing up small businesses, which is totally understandable and I agree to a certain extent. I just don't think that they should support businesses to the point of putting every worker in the state on the back burner.
  • Options
    Holy crap girl, that is shittyyy, I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  All the PPs are right, though, when it comes to garnished wages and protected whistleblower status. 

Not cool :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards