Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Drinks

We are stocking our own bar for our reception that is out at a barn. Is it tackey to serve beer out of kegs? When I think of kegs I think of college frat parties, but they kegs would be hidden behind the bar and it will cut our beer cost in half.

We are planning to serve:
- one type of red and one type of white wine (any suggestions on this?)
- margaritia 
- a mixed wiskey drink (possibly a wiskey sour... my FI and I both drink wiskey straight... what other wiskey mixed drinks are out there lol)
- 3 beers- a corrona light or harp, something a little bit darker (maybe a sam adam or a yuengling), and then a guinness (I know it's darker then most people drink but my family is Irish and I keg of it will be gone by the end of the night). We were thinking about serving Harp, Smithwicks, and Guinness but decided alot of our guest might perfer to have a choice fo more american beers. 
- then we would also have the tequila and wiskey for people. 
- we will also have soda (probably coke, diet coke, and sprite), water, and ice tea

Would you be happy with this at a wedding? Do you have any suggestions? 

Thanks! 

Re: Drinks

• Options
    What kind of food are you serving?  Without knowing that, I would get a white blend, sauvignon blanc, or pinot grigio for the white (I dislike chardonnay), and pinot noir or merlot for the red.  I don't think kegs are tacky--will you have a bartender to serve guests?  If not, that does seem a little frat party-ish, and it is also more stressful to worry about guests over-consuming if there is no bartender there.  If you have any kids attending, I would also have juice and/or lemonade.  I think that having one of your beer options be a light beer makes sense.

I mainly like wine and tequila drinks, so I would be happy!
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Our wedding is in a barn and we are serving BBQ and some cajen seafood. we will have a bartender. The purpose of the hard liquor is for the signature drinks, but we figured that if we had it we might as well make it available. We were not planning to do a full open bar. We were just thinking about a his and her signature drink. Should we not make the limited hard liquor available?  
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I think if you have a menu at the bar that lists what is offered (types of wine, types of beer, and the signature cocktails), most people won't ask for a different drink with tequila or whiskey.  If they do, though, I don't see the harm in giving it to them.  It's there, you want them to have a good time, don't instruct your baretender to refuse to give it to them.  

I agree it would be weird if you separately listed whiskey and tequila on your bar menu, since you're not having a full bar.  

ETA: I don't know if you can find it around here, but there's a white mix called Big Claw that is made to go with seafood, it might be worth checking out.  I also like Seaglass Sauvignon Blanc and think it would go with your menu, and we have gotten that at Costco in the DC area (I think maybe the Leesburg Costco).  
  • Options
    I think kegs are fine, too as long as you hide them a bit so it doesn't get too messy. I am a huge fan os sweet tea vodka so I love a sweet tea vodka drink with a lemonade. My friend had it at her wedding and it was the sh*t.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards