August 2013 Weddings
Options

Rehearsal Dinner Suggestions

My local board definitely isn't the hopping place to be! Do you guys have ideas for rehearsal dinners? I'm trying to go affordable as FI and I are paying for it. I was thinking Bucca di Beppo, because with Itialian food you can generally feed lots of people for cheap. But, my brother is having his there, I really am trying to stay VERY different from his wedding ;)

Any ideas? I wish we could just cater something at our house, but we have an apartment, not a house, so it wouldn't work very well....
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Suggestions

• Options
    Depending on your tastes maybe try a Tex Mex place like Chevy's, because that would be affordable and fun.  Or you could look into a local bar with quality bar food.  If you want to stick with Italian you could try another chain restaurant like Bertuccis or Carrabbas.
  • Options
    We don't have any of those local to the venue...thanks for the ideas though.

I'm going to reach out to a brewery and see what they have (and if kids are allowed, WA has dumb laws regarding some of that stuff) and also a local BBQ restaurant that seems like it might work.

My other issue - my parents are obnoxious sometimes with their drinking, we're hosting the rehearsal but aren't going to provide alcohol. They're going to have to go without (it's a a Thursday night anyway), it should be an interesting conversation with my mom.
  • Options
    Good luck with the conversation with the mom. I think they just have to deal with it though. They want it so bad they can pay.

Anyhow, as for the venue. My brother had it at a pizza place. It was a nice pizza place, so not a dive. Indian or Chinese might be out there for some, but could be creative if you don't have people that are opposed.
    Aug 2013 Brides - January Siggy Wedding Site, Pinecrest Lake: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_rehearsal-dinner-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:f0ff2253-18cf-4376-a670-0ee0b311a14bPost:1c3531b1-ff11-4924-ada3-d8ca65cc0fdb">Re: Rehearsal Dinner Suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good luck with the conversation with the mom. I think they just have to deal with it though. They want it so bad they can pay. Anyhow, as for the venue. My brother had it at a pizza place. It was a nice pizza place, so not a dive. Indian or Chinese might be out there for some, but could be creative if you don't have people that are opposed.
    Posted by Clio073[/QUOTE]

Thanks!! I checked with the Rock, another pizza/pasta option. It's really good but they do brew their own beer so it might add to the whole alcohol piece that we're going to avoid. I like chinese, but I'm not sure how any of our local places would accomodate our group.
  • Options
    We are in the exact same boat-I really wish we could just have everyone over and get some BBQ!  We're leaning towards an Irish pub-type restaurant that does some pretty good group rate deals and has small rooms.  We are hoping to be able to host alcohol, but we'll have to see where the budget is at with some other stuff at that point.  It will be at a restaurant, so I expect that some may excuse themselves to the bar if we don't host alcohol.  I would definitely stay away from breweries  if you are hoping people just won't drink (sadly, they usually have some really good food!)  
  • Options
    good point, Xstatic....

I'll have to look into a litlte more. So far the BBQ place has the best rates, $22.98/person for a full meal including salad, meat, 2 sides and dessert. Then we'll just host soda. None of my rehearsal guests are vegetarians so we might be able to make this work.
  • Options
    I love the idea of BBQ, its fun and I think it would be great if your are planning on having kids there too. As for the alcohol, they will just have to be understanding of your wishes and budget. And I hope for you they are! Good Luck :)
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain my in-laws (who are hosting the RD) are planning on pizzas at an awesome pizzaria by their house. They make amazing pizzas and it's BYOB, so we can do pizza and salad and bring a case of beer, a few bottles of wine and call it a night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• Options
    I am not from your area at all but I know our Venue holds Rehersal Dinners right there. That is what we will be doing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_rehearsal-dinner-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:f0ff2253-18cf-4376-a670-0ee0b311a14bPost:5b335d13-b2e2-4be4-b23c-676e6d9f0c08">Re: Rehearsal Dinner Suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not from your area at all but I know our Venue holds Rehersal Dinners right there. That is what we will be doing.
    Posted by RailWayWife[/QUOTE]

I checked into doing it at the venue - their ideas were less than impressive and their cost was a joke. Bummer it couldn't be that simple though.
  • Options
    Perhaps you could check out your local parks and see if you could reserve a shelter or something.... I've found that the cost of doing this is pretty minimal. We've actually entertained the idea of doing a Clam Bake (or something very similiar) at a local park. We'll hire a caterer to set up the clam bake portion and will then provide our own beverages, music, games, etc. I figure since the wedding is in August, we'll have plenty of sunshine to work with post the rehersal so a park/shelter might work well. I just want everyone to relax (including me) the night before and a bunch of the places I've looked into are a little too "stiff" and/or way too expensive... seems like the rehersal dinner is quickly becoming a mini wedding in terms of cost. We're hosting a brunch the morning after for our out-of-town guests... and 3 catered events just seemed like way too much of a production. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards