Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Who is going to help serve?

If you or your family are providing food for a wedding reception without hiring a caterer, who are you designating to refill entrees or side dishes? Who are you designating to set it up while everyone else is at the wedding? And what is the going rate to pay this person/people? Help?!

Re: Who is going to help serve?

• Options
    You designate anyone as that is a crappy job and we are talking about your guests.  You hire people to set it up, keep it filled, etc.

My SIL is the varsity cheerleading coach at her high school.  I have hired her girls for two of my girls weddings to help with cleanup when things are over.  The money goes right into their account for cheerleading camp.
  • Options
    I agree hiring high school students sounds like a great idea. Affordable, and your family doesn't have to help out.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_who-is-going-to-help-serve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:afc55a46-9529-415c-b552-069746f8bf16Post:8c21c08d-9e6b-424b-9eaf-32651f535d6b">Who is going to help serve?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you or your family are providing food for a wedding reception without hiring a caterer, who are you designating to refill entrees or side dishes? Who are you designating to set it up while everyone else is at the wedding? And what is the going rate to pay this person/people? Help?!
    Posted by mihrandad[/QUOTE]

You don't designate anyone.  You hire people to do these jobs and negotiate a fair price with them.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Don't assign guests of your wedding.  Kinda crappy move.  I agree with PPs to hire an outside person, either through a catering company or college or high school kids looking for a few extra bucks.  Check out hospitality programs at the high school/college for willing students.
  • Options
    If I was coming to your wedding as a guest and then was told I was designated to work, I would be really upset.  You need to hire somebody outside your guest list.
  • Options
    Many high schools now have catering/chef classes in their vocational programs. Ours does. Look into that, as well as community college cooking/chef/catering students. They would probably work for $20 an hour (most young people today don't get off the computer for less than that)
  • Options
    If you have some close family members/friends that you are comfortable asking to help, then do so. Is it possible to setup before the wedding? Not cool to ask them to miss your wedding because they are setting up.  I guess it depends upon what exactly you are asking them to do?  If it is just pulling something out of the fridge when it runs low, I personally wouldn't have a problem with that.  If you go the high school student route, make sure they are dependable and know what they are doing. Personally I would want my family to come and just have a good time. Remember, someone will have to also clean up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are hiring a woman who is in culinary school. We know them well enough to know they will show up and do the job at hand.  We have told her we would hire her brother also.  She will come in the morning to keep the food hot and stirred in the roasters. She will put them in a hot and a cold serving line and then keep them full.  We have rented the reception site for 5 days. Lots of family coming in to attend.   If your not serving alcohol you could have a highschool or 4H group come in and serve.  If your serving alcohol you would not be allowed to have kids serve.   We have ran a few options over in our minds and this will work best for us. 
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I will attend your wedding and help with whatever you need, thats the way it used to be done anyways! My family and I are doing everything for my wedding the only outside person will be a photographer. My wedding is in Hawaii were all my family lives, they already booked my ceremony/reception area for a week once my FI, kids and I get there my FI is going to go hunt (yes hunt!) for the deer and maybe boar. Other family members (Uncles and cousins) are going to go spear fishing and set nets for crab right before the wedding, I'm sure, and my cousin is already raising 3 pigs and my Uncle has plenty of chickens. All the family is pitching in when we start cooking a few days before the wedding but my dad and Aunt are the main people who are coordinating it. And the food is going to be buffet style which eliminates servers. I'm going to ask my Uncle Bulla and sister to help me decorate, my cousin is making my cake, one of my other cousins is my officiant, my soon to be SIL who is my MOH is going to do my make-up, my step-mom is doing my hair, and my MOH and other family members (not sure who) are going to make the bouquets and boutonnieres. my cousins have a band st8viben who are going to play at reception and another cousin is a dj who will take care of all my audio and play at the reception. After the wedding everyone clans up after themselves! I don't see a problem with family helping! But I'm also used to my family helping. Talk with you're family and see if they would be willing to help and go from there.
    He stole my heart... So I'm stealing his last name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards