Favors

Any chocolatiers or candy makers out there?

I'm making chocolate covered/dipped oreos for our wedding favors.  I did a trial run with Merkens chocolate compound coatings, used an oreo mold and everything came out fab!

I have some prep questions for when it comes time to actually make all 300 of them:

1) When should I buy the chocolate coatings and how long does it keep?
2) If I start dipping 5 days prior to the wedding day the dipped oreos keep, right?

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Any chocolatiers or candy makers out there?

• Kris092988Kris092988 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure about oreos, but I make chocolate dipped peanut butter balls every year, we freeze them and they last a while. I just use chocolate bark and crisco to make the chocolate shell, so I'm not completely sure about your stuff. I use a crock pot to heat it though, that way I can sit at a table and have more space to work with them than doing it on the stove and counters, makes it go a lot quicker.
    Hope that made sense...
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Check with Merkens regarding the shelf life of the coating and when you should buy it.  I did that with the makers of all the candies on my DD's candy buffet and they were all fantastic about helping.

Yep - your oreo's will be fine dipped 5 days out.  Keep them in a cool dark place and do not refrigerate or freeze them.  You will be good to go.
  • edited December 2011

Those are the oreo balls made with cream cheese, right?  I'd think you have to refrigerate them if you're making them that far ahead, otherwise the dairy would go bad pretty quickly, though I could be wrong.

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    edited December 2011
    I thought she was talking about choc covered Oreos.  OP can you please clarify?
  • mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would try freezing them for a week or two if you're not too close to your wedding.  If it's six months away, I would try freezing them for a month maybe and see how they taste after that.  If you can freeze them, then obviously you're able to make them much earlier and don't have as much crunch time that week. 
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_chocolatiers-candy-makers-out-there?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:952dbcfd-f309-4431-9272-a9b9d958803aPost:dc871b7d-6a3d-4eb0-89e0-b9a06bbf6b00">Re: Any chocolatiers or candy makers out there?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would try freezing them for a week or two if you're not too close to your wedding.  If it's six months away, I would try freezing them for a month maybe and see how they taste after that.  If you can freeze them, then obviously you're able to make them much earlier and don't have as much crunch time that week. 
    Posted by mcskatcat[/QUOTE]

Please don't freeze chocolate, it is the worst thing you can do.  It will "blossom" and the cocoa butter will separate from the rest of it - white spots like you see on old chocolate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards