Canada-Ontario

petite sized wedding dresses?

Hi everyone, I just got engaged last weekend but I am rarin' to go here :) Just a question about dress sizes. I am a size 0 in clothing, and I know that alot of designers don't really go past a 4 (I think) so I'm afraid that I'm going to spending a ton on alterations. Should I go be looking into getting something made? The dress style I like is a slim silhouette with a lace overlay, square neck with lace straps- the straps because I kind of have bony shoulders and I dont want to look scrawny in my pics. Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Re: petite sized wedding dresses?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement and welcome!

Most (not all) dress designers size their dresses differently from street clothing sizes. Street clothing has gone through vanity sizing while dress sizes have not. So, your street size 0 may very well be a dress size 4.

Some designers, like Maggie Sottero, do start at size 0.

I am a size 4/small in clothing and I was usually a size 8 in dresses.

When you go shopping, most of the samples will be size 8 or 10 but they will clip the dress to fit you properly.

So I'd suggest going shopping anyway and seeing what you come up with.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alterations help a lot, and dress sizes tend to be bigger than clothing.  My dress was a size 10 and I would say I'm  a size 4 normally.  I'm also very short, and had a lace gown, but it was altered and fit perfectly for my size.  I'm confident you will find a dress you love - don't worry about getting one custom made - what you are looking for seems pretty normal for dress types!
  • colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree. Wedding gowns are sized differently. They are usually 2-3 sizes bigger than street clothes. It shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!
  • kalamitykatekalamitykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks guys, starting to look as soon as I get back from vacation :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards