Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Is this a good choice?

I think "Two is better than one" by Boys Like Girls would be a nice choice for our first dance. I think it is a lovely song, even though it is Boys Like Girls, who I'm not exactly a fan of. My FI though, feels that it is too new, that it isn't a classic first dance song. I think he is right, it isn't classic, but does this matter? Is classic just another word for overused, or is there something to be said for using those songs? What do you all think of this choice?

Re: Is this a good choice?

• tabba_nicoletabba_nicole member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think whatever the two of you like is a good choice! My FH and I are not having a "classic" song either. We haven't picked a song yet but we've decided to do a choreographed dance to a more modern upbeat song. Some of the songs we've considered so far include Lucky by Jason Mraz, Bubbly and Falling for You both by Colbie Caillat. I think whatever is your style is fine! No need to go with something that is "overused"! It's your day and your song! Just like everything else that day, you get to decide!
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's a quick reality check for you:  What song did the B&G dance to at the last 6 weddings you attended?  Can't remember?  Exactly.  Your guests could not possibly care less what song you dance to.

If you like it, use it.  If you don't, don't use it.  Because the only two people in the room who will care what you dance to are you and your FI.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, it's funny. I can remember the song that the bride and groom danced to at every wedding that I have attended since the age of 10, but that's just me. I have a great memory for that sort of thing, and music is one of the most important things to me, which I think is why I am having such a hard time deciding if this is a good choice. 

Thanks for the input ladies. Advice from these boards has been helping me a lot. Without it, I don't know where I'd be.
  • edited December 2011
    i like your choice, dont pick something that you dont like
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Definitely pick a song that you both love!!! Sounds like a great pick!!

GL!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think what really matters is that it is a song that is special for both you and your FI.  If he's not into it, then it's not the right song.  Sit down together and figure out a song that works best for both of you...traditional or new.
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards