Favors

I'm going to poke at the edible favor love..

New around here, and yes I'm going to poke at the edible favor love...while I understand why people like them, we are looking elsewhere for our favors. Both of our families have heath issues with food, or at heath freaks and won't even be eating cake!...more for me- so since we are a geek couple who work with computers all day, we were thinking of the usb flash drive favor- maybe with the date or nothing at all. Most of our invited do use them all the time- and to us its something practical. Any thought? Any love/hate comments? I know them can be expensive..but our guest list is 25 people.

Re: I'm going to poke at the edible favor love..

• edited December 2011
    Like!  Maybe personalize with the date?  It's very practical and something that won't be thrown out.  However if it doesn't have your initial or something, in my opinion, it wouldn't be as pretty.  Just my opinion, not knocking your idea!  I think it's cute that you and the hubby to be are "computer geeks" hehee!  What a perfect idea!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I love the website thinkgeek.com and I found this just googling...

http://www.logomemory.com/wedding
  • edited December 2011
    I think practical and edible are just about equal, and I personally would rather have practical.
  • meamollymeamolly member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    IMHO do not personalise them, maybe place them in a wrapper with a date on the wrapper. I went to a wedding and got a tape measure as one of the favors. Pulled the personalised sticker off as soon as i could.
  • Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its a great idea.  If it were a larger group, I might be worried that not everyone would have a use.. but if you know almost all of your 25 would use it, I think its awesome.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    Practical is as good as edible, but I myself would leave something personalized behind.
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_im-going-poke-edible-favor-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:99d77cc2-266c-4565-96ab-ed0fc13e6c5cPost:1ff561f5-a7df-435b-b6cb-6bf2c41bce66">Re: I'm going to poke at the edible favor love..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, if it had nothing on it, I would LOVE it.  If it had your monogram or date or anything related to your wedding at all, I would leave it because there's no way I'm carrying that into the office.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This. People probably aren't going to want to use a flash drive with information about your wedding plastered on it. Use this idea, but without the personalization.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a different thought on the situation.  If the majority of your guests are computer geeks, I'm going to assume they probably already own a good bit of flash drives.  I know we have at least 5 in our house.  We would have absolutely no use for another flash drive.
  • edited December 2011
    its getting a bit dramatic w/ the not taking the personalized stuff.  i mean...really?  i think it would be so rude to leave it behind just b/c it has the couple's names on it.  its still useful...and who the heck is looking at your USB drive anyway??  who cares??  i mean...is your boss checking your USB drive on the way into the office??  i bet people in your office would think its so cute if they saw that thing on your desk.  lets keep it positive people....

if it was a personalized iPod...would you leave that behind as well??  i think not.

OP...i think its a great idea.  totally unique.  and i would absolutely take one.  and i'd leave the personalization on there. 
  • edited December 2011
    like, no personalize though, just put them in a cute little back and add a personalized tag, this is a very cool idea, but it sounds really expensive!
  • edited December 2011
    You can personalize it with a design as opposed to names or dates. 
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • klm03013klm03013 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you could package it in a personalized way with a ribbon with your names and dates or something and offer them in your wedding colors. That would be nice
  • S_A_FriedelS_A_Friedel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I like them and they are very practical, I woudl assume anyone that would use one, would already have one.  Like I have one and it has alot of storage space so why would I need another?  But, if you do decide to use these, I wouldn't personalize with anything - I personally wouldn't want to use something that had someone else's name on it.
    If anything, maybe 'personalize' with a quote or something that would be universal/general.
  • edited December 2011
    You'd be surprised when you might need another one. I have one that I use all the time but the other day I needed one with more space and had to go out and get one. So it would be useful.

OP I like the idea. The personalization wouldn't be something that would make me not take it but I would say get them in your wedding colors and call it a day.
    Anniversary image
  • edited December 2011
    Love the idea!
    Anniversary
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea ... but I'd also say skip the personalization of the actual flash drive. Personalize the packaging: a cute box or bag with a pretty tag or something like that. But leave the flash drive as is.

Like PP said, I'm not going to use, well, anything that has somebody else's wedding information on it. Over the years, I've left behind wine glasses, shot glasses, candle holders ... pretty much things that I would have taken and used otherwise, just because it said "Tina & Steve's Wedding" on it.

The few times I did take those things, it was pretty much because the bride noticed I was leaving at the end of the night without a favor and kind of guilted me into taking one ... and then they just sat collecting dust in my cabinets until I no longer felt guilty about throwing them out.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • MLekathLEENMLekathLEEN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a great idea but I say skip personalizing it with your name/date/etc. If you REALLY REALLY feel the need to personalize, I'd make wrappers for them (think mini Hersey bars) or do a cute, easily removable tag to hang on the ring thing (I like to be technical) that the majority of them have.
  • cakegirl.73cakegirl.73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help ladies!- I'm thinking skipping any personalization makes the most sense- I too wouldn't keep something with someone else's names on it. We'll just go with our colors- and maybe package them the date on the bag...I'll see what I can find. Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    I am so glad someone posted this idea!!  FI and I are thinking of doing the same...USB drive but with pre-downloaded photo slide show from our dating years and e-session.  This, obviously, can be deleted by those that take the drive. 

If you haven't checked this site yet, try www.4imprint.com. Their prices are based on how many you order (the company I work for uses them for give away items), plus a set up fee. 

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions of personalizing vs not.  I would prefer to personalize them, but I also agree with those that say some guests may not take them if they are.  Good food for thought for FI and I!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    obviously i wasnt comparing the cost of a usb drive to the cost of an ipod.  the point is...its rude to just not take the favor b/c you dont like it...

just take the damn thing and make the bride happy.  i mean...there isnt 1 favor that is going to work for every single person.  i personally HATE plain chocolate...but if the favor is hershey kisses or some other chocolate thing...i'll still take it.  its the nice thing to do.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_im-going-poke-edible-favor-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:99d77cc2-266c-4565-96ab-ed0fc13e6c5cPost:86cd38be-54f7-4c67-89d3-b931b7ea795a">Re: I'm going to poke at the edible favor love..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm going to poke at the edible favor love.. : So, if I'd said, "I'd take it but immediately pitch it in the trash", that would have been not rude? I have no words for this logic.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

what i was saying was...when you're at someone's wedding -  its kind of rude to leave behind the favor.  just take it..and do what you want with it.  i wasnt referring to what YOU said specifically as being rude.  i was saying in general...its rude to not take the favor just because you dont like it or because its personalized. 
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_im-going-poke-edible-favor-love?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:99d77cc2-266c-4565-96ab-ed0fc13e6c5cPost:d5769f2a-b09e-4aaa-971d-304ae9f79c72">Re: I'm going to poke at the edible favor love..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I'm going to poke at the edible favor love.. : what i was saying was...when you're at someone's wedding -  its kind of rude to leave behind the favor.  just take it..and do what you want with it.  i wasnt referring to what YOU said specifically as being rude.  i was saying in general...its rude to not take the favor just because you dont like it or because its personalized. 
    Posted by reese511[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's rude to leave behind something I'm just going to throw out anyway. Why should I be obligated to take something I'm just going to toss? Favors are not mandatory to give ... so why if one is given should it be mandatory to "receive"?

Honestly, I think once you get into the medium-large sized weddings (Like 50+ guests), it's kind of naive to assume every single favor will be taken. There are people that will always take the favor, regardless of what it is "because that's just what you do". You apparently fall into this camp. However, for every person that will <strong>always </strong>take the favor, there's going to be a person that won't take something they don't like or will just plain forget to take one at the end of the night. Just because it's not what you would do, it doesn't automatically make them "rude".

My advice to brides when selecting favors is to  always ask yourself "What am I going to do if a lot of these get left behind?" ... you may not like it, but that scenario <strong>has</strong> actually happened to couples before (Just ask my friend who got stuck with 47 of the 150 personalized wine glasses she gave out). When you start personalizing non-edible favors (And not just their packaging), you're limiting yourself on how to deal with any left behinds.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • edited December 2011
    I wanted  my FI to get flash drives for his groomsmen, but he's such a geek that he couldn't find one that was reasonably priced that he liked. He was looking at $200+ flash drives. His reasoning was that since all his groomsmen are geeks, they would only appreciate a flash drive larger than one they already had, which put us in the 125+gb range. I'd say (like most pp's) skip the personalization and spend that money on getting a decent capacity to make it more useful.
    Wheaton's Law: Don't be a dick.
  • edited December 2011
    I never would have thought of flashdrives but it's an interesting idea. I would like to get one, bc I'm always running out of room on mine, or misplacing it. I know at my wedding though probably 1/3 would take it. If it suits your crowd- go for it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards