Wedding Reception Forum

Help! I need advice

So we're doing a very casual outdoor wedding in Alaska in August. It's a rustic shabby chic theme. My colors are plum, lavender and browns with lots of burlap in the mix. We're using fresh lavender and babies breath for the flowers.  I need the opinion of some unbiased people. 
First-  Disposable dinnerware VS the real thing. Like I said this is a casual outdoor alaskan wedding.  What do you guys think?
Second - It's going to be a late wedding ceremony starting around 7 pm (it doesn't get dark in AK in the summer really) So I'm thinking just hors d'ouevres / finger foods beer and wine.  Does that seem weird or cheap? 
Third- tent decor.  other than the tables I have no idea how to decorate a tent. Ideas please?

Re: Help! I need advice

• For the dinnerware, I think that disposable is fine and have actually used some very nice disposables for other parties we've thrown. iParty (not sure if they have that where you live) offers disposable dinnerware that looks like real china. They have decorative borders and feel like the real deal. I wouldn't go the "paper plate" route but nicer disposables would be fine. Even though your ceremony is starting later, I would either have very heavy hors d'ouevres or a dinner buffet. People who have eaten prior will be hungry again and some people may not have eaten a real meal prior to the wedding. I think that sticking to beer and wine is fine but you should go heavy on the food. For decor in a tent, you could string lights along the top. I think if you have "heavier" centerpieces, you won't need much else.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TiffannieFTiffannieF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    1-I would also prefer the real thing...although party city and costco (I believe) had very real looking plastic ware...in the end it might be more expensive to buy those then just to rent the real thing.  However, if you are having a rustic theme it might go well to have non-matching silverware/plates. 

2-I think that will be fine.  Our ceremony started at 6pm and we served dinner around 7:30pm.  Maybe on the RSVP you could put "hors d'ovour to follow ceremony".

3-For tent ideas I would google "tent decor for rustic themed weddings" or variations of that.
    Here's a couple that I found

Also saw some things you could do with hay.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards