Michigan-Detroit

ACK! Is it possible to find a budget venue that's actually pretty and budget???

We just got engaged and are already feeling overwhelmed by the prices. It's a second marriage for both, with a fairly large blended family. Money is tight, but we both want to do this right, much because neither of us really did that the first time around (obviously). Any recommendations for ceremony/receptions sites on the west side of Metro Detroit that will accommodate 75-100 people and cost under $35 a head, but bot have that VFW hall feel?

At this point I'm throwing my hands up at the prices everywhere I turn.

Oh--autumn wedding, we're fairly certain.

Re: ACK! Is it possible to find a budget venue that's actually pretty and budget???

• IvoirienneIvoirienne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Um, "NOT" have, not "bot".
  • klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

i beieve Friday weddings are cheaper at most halls if you'd be willing to do that.

Edited- because i don't know NSEW and gave a bad rec haha sorry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thumper1148Thumper1148 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do believe Arnaldo's in Rivereview is under $35 a head.  A bit more south, then the west side technically.  That is where Fi and I have booked.  It's a beautiful hall.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! Welcome to the board! Check the sticky posts at the top of the board page (the posts with little push pins next to them). There is a lot of good vendor info and some knotties have listed the costs. Vendor and reception hall prices usually decrease in the "off season" (November thru February) and you can get some good deals. Since you mentioned you are thinking of a fall wedding, this may work out for you. I don't have any specific reception hall recommendations but hopefully this helps to get you started. Happy planning :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_ack-possible-budget-venue-thats-actually-pretty-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:960ba598-ed8e-436b-be37-09337370879aPost:d80c971f-61f1-4bd3-b264-1e5d27e425e6">Re: ACK! Is it possible to find a budget venue that's actually pretty and budget???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do believe Arnaldo's in Rivereview is under $35 a head.  A bit more south, then the west side technically.  That is where Fi and I have booked.  It's a beautiful hall.
    Posted by Thumper1148[/QUOTE]

<div>*gasp!*  Another Arnaldo's bride!  That's three of us that I know of for sure +breeamber.  Wow, I hadn't realized how popular it is.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Agree with PP, check out the stickies at the top of the board.  Fridays are cheaper than Saturdays, and Sundays are even cheaper yet.  </div>
    BabyFruit Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker Our Bio Bridesmaid Dresses July 2012 November Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
  • edited December 2011

Barrister House, Barrister Gardens, and Lakeland Manor in St. Clair Shores are all under 35 bucks on a Friday or Sunday!

• japow1984japow1984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Dearborn Hills Golf Course last fall and they have a friday/sunday wedding special for 35 dollars a person and that includes chair covers. The room has a super calm feel and a great view. They really paid attention to every detail too and worked with us on prices. Also, if a nice bar is something that is important, I really felt that ours was pretty extensive for a standard bar package. If you are interested I have a bunch pictures of the room itself. Also, by the off chance that you have a close family member that works for the city of dearborn, you can get a city employee discount.

http://www.dearbornhills.com/banquets/wedding-receptions/wedding-specials
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We looked at Indian Springs in Highland, MI....and we liked the venue a lot.  There is a huge wall of windows with a beautiful view of pond and woods.  And they have a nice big deck off the back, so people can get outside for some fresh air.

They would cater, and it would be buffett style.  But, the price is right around what you are looking to spend.  And I think is a very pretty venue.  You can also have your ceremony there...either overlooking the pond or in front of a huge old oak tree.

Here are a few pictures I found online. 

• MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just about every location I looked at was under or around $35 per person.  Also, Fridays and Sundays are cheaper.  I'd recommend Rivercrest (in Rochester).  Other options include King's Castle (in Lake Orion) and St. Josephat (in Warren).  All locations can do a ceremony and reception.

I don't recommend Barrister Gardens or Barrister House even though they are in your budget but I know some people like the locations.
  • jhawthorne85jhawthorne85 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We are doing Friday and Off Season. Im at the Mirage in Clinton Township Normally prices in the $44-46 a head and we are paying $34 a head.
    :)
    Sterling Inn on 15 and Van Dyke will work with you! We had them down to $31 a head, but we fell in love with the Mirage in the mean time.

Barrister House/Barrister Gardens are both under $35...i believe it was $31 a person at Barrister Gardens (we were also going to book there!, we obviously changed our mind alot)
    My bridesmaid Carol is getting married in a church and having her reception at Via Nove in Ferndale. She is paying about $20 a head(its a resturaunt) doesn't include much, but its what she wants.
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • edited December 2011
    I would avoid Barrister House/Barrister Gardens. They are pretty sketchy and the food isn't that good!
  • edited December 2011

We're using Barnstormer in Whitmore Lake. It's $37.95pp for us, but I'm sure you could make a deal with them.

BabyFruit Ticker

Photobucket

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the local Detroit board!

You said western side of metro Detroit, so mine technically qualifies as it's in Livonia. It's the Greenmead Historic Village at the intersection of 8 Mile rd and Newburgh. For pics and links, go to my bio below and go to "vendors"

We are using the historic chapel, where you can have whatever denomination you want because you have to hire the officiant. We are using the Alexander Blue House, a restored home that has been turned into a banquet hall. The rental for both facilities was $1000 as my fiance is a resident. For a wedding next fall, if you are not a resident, expect about $1500.

You bring in your own alcohol and food, so you can shop for the best rates possible. We looked into Joe's Gourmet Food in Livonia, and other caterers, and your price is based on what you want. Ultimately we chose Holiday Market in Royal Oak who has done multiple events there and they are very familiar with the facility, which was part of the allure. Our total cost for rentals and excellent food for a Saturday night comes out to about $43 per person, but you can get more inexpensive food than that. The venue and food could be kept under $35 easily, especially if you use a different caterer.

Many of the brides on this board love Arnoldo's. Not sure whether you were talking about a specific part of "west of Metro Detroit".

Also, I agree with the PP (prior posters), check the stickies above for additional resources.

Good luck.
  • brideinbluemibrideinbluemi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try St. Mary's Cultural Ctr in Livonia.  Its $27 pp and you can (have to) bring your own alcohol.  The food is very good and the place is pretty.
  • helgak99helgak99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Canterbury Village-Kings Court Castle in Lake Orion.
    Meets your pricing and location has lots of personality and photo opportunities

• sheshedukeshesheduke member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check Hellenic Cultural Center in Westland. That is where my reception will be and they are right at that price. Call and ask for Patty or Steffi and tell her Sheena sent you. Good luck with you search!
  • kloftus16kloftus16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was shocked to find that my venue is incredibly within my price range and yours!

Oakhurst Country Club (it is ABSOLUTELY stunning, and Libby is wonderful to work with!!)

I suggest you meet with them and they will work with ANY budget.  Seriously, check them out.  I love them. 
  • edited December 2011
    American Polish Cultural Center in Troy is worth looking at...mine is there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards