Attire & Accessories Forum

when the best man's in the military

My F doesn't want to ask his Best Man to rent a tux because he is in the military and would typically wear his West Point Uniform for formal events.

I'm a little worried that he'll stick out like a sore thumb in blue when my color scheme is Red and Black. See the photo below

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/03/19/2004293553.jpg

I'm not too familliar with military rules.  Does he have to wear his uniform or is it ok for him to wear a tux in wedding colors (black tux with red accents).  The bridesmaids will be wearing red dresses with black sashes and shoes and all of the other men will be in tuxes.

Re: when the best man's in the military

• There is a military brides board in the special topic wedding boards. I suggest you go and have a peek there. They will be able to answer your question better.

Also, he doesnt HAVE to wear his uniform, but if he wants to, let him wear it. It means that he is taking pride in protecting his country.

Jesi
    <*>My Blog<*> Updated Sept. 20 My BFP Chart
    Started TTC July 2010 ~ Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism April 2011 ~ BFP 5.10.11 EDD 1.16.12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Military uniforms do not need to match, they are considered neutral.  No one is going to say "Wow, he does not match at all, why is his in a blue suit when the others are in black tuxes?"  People will realize why he is in uniform.
  • Call me a bridezilla, but I would want him in a tux.  I would understand if they were all military, but not if he's the only one.  I'm all for him getting recognition, but your wedding isn't a place for him to be standing out.  You and your FI should be the only ones people are focused on.
  • A military uniform is considered neutral.

The thought that he would "stand out" and be drawing attention away from the bride and groom is ridiculous. And frankly it sounds pretty selfish.
  • dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • I am not a Bridezilla at all and I've been very laid back throughout the wedding planning, most of which I'm letting my mom take caro of because I am being married im my hometown which is 8 hours away.  The only think I am being picky about is I want beautiful pictures.  I am a very visual person and photography is important to me.
    That being said I don't think it's selfish to want to be the center of attention at an event my mom and I are paying for and hosting.

and CA2MT4EveR  you've answered my question better than anyone because the first thing I saw when I looked at that picture was the white hat.

I don't mean any offense but I thing the idea that it will be nuetral just because it's military doesn't really work.
  • If your FI wants his best man to wear his uniform then the two of you should talk it out.  If he listens to you he might understand why you want things to look the same, and on the other hand you might understand why he wants his BM to wear his uniform.  The West Point uniforms are neutral. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards