Virginia-Richmond

Vendor Reviews

Hey local B2B/Vow Renewals and the likes....I just wanted to give some feedback while it's fresh in my mind. We are a couple in our 30's that renewed our vows. I really dubbed my vendors "The Dream Team."

Venue: Montpelier Center for Arts & Education, Montpelier, VA. The location was perfect for us. It's a historic school building. It's got a beautiful ballroom that is completely enclosed in ceiling to floor windows, vaulted ceilings, etc. The draw back is the flourescent lighting that can't be completely turned off in hallways, but we worked with it. Ann was very responsive to my inquiries. They have tables and chairs included in the rental price. The cost was extremely affordable. Really, the location sold us since it's right in the middle of my family living in Louisa county and my friends in Richmond.

Day of Coordinator. Angela's Elegant Events. Holy cow! Girls, she was the most awesome lady to work with and very reasonable with her rates. I couldn't have chosen a more laid back, I got it under control and ready with ideas when plans have to change person. We hit a couple of snafu's literally within 2 weeks of go time and she just handled so many things. Including helping put a new altar together since we were in a dance studio. Getting with all of my vendors to coordinate prior to the day since my mother was hospitalized 2 weeks prior. She was a God send! I didn't pay for hand holding, but she was certainly Johnny on the Spot when pushed came to shove. She never once pushed her favorite vendors on me, but when I asked specifically she had a recommendation in hand. Never fear Angela's suggestions.

Lighting. AVP (Audio Visual Productions) - Richmond based lighting company that flies under radar for weddings. They are most known for the rock show, fashion show, etc type lighting, but they also do weddings. Very reasonable rates and I was surprised how affordable they could be. I had a lot of lighting challenges at the venue, but they made it jaw dropping without breaking the bank. Lee had to contend with a lot of changes and ideas being tossed about. I'm sure he wanted to pull his hair out because I wanted to pull mine out. LOL! In the end, he put together a very pretty ceremony and reception. I know Blue Steel exists, but I wouldn't overlook this company.

Caterer. Champagne Taste. Everyone and I mean everyone has raved about the food Whitney Fero and her team prepared. She made up a fantastic menu right out the bull pen with budget I gave to her. She was always quick to respond to inquiries. I'm just sorry the weather was so warm. I don't think anyone made it to the hot cocoa/smore's bar. :( 

Photography: Twilight Images / Melody Smith. Melody was a splurge for me. I didn't have a photographer at our original wedding which I regret to this day. Our situation was way different back then . I was worried about evening, low light conditions. Sure there are tons of wedding photographers out there and rates are all over. She does make up as well which I booked. My make up turned out great for my budoir photos so I wasn't hesitant at all for the day of. I also booked make up for my moms and my older sister. I did two budoir sessions as a gift for my husband. I was FLOORED with the great shots she did for both budoir and our vow renewal. She was worth every stinking penny! 

Flowers: Flowers by Mona. Mona was such a doll to work with her. Her and Stacy (her daughter) were just so open to our constant changing flower idea. I had no real scheme in mind, but the colors kept changing a little here and there. Seriously, it's like I was working with family. The flowers were AMAZING! Budget wise - again so affordable but it looks like I spent a fortune.

Bridal wear: Caryn's Bridal, Farmville, VA. I know Richmond has bridal store that carries Allure and the lace dress that was similar to my original wedding dress, but they cap their alterations at $175 no matter what I did. They were very easy to work with and the alterations came out great. Lace is not easy to work with either. I give them a thumbs up! In the end, I saved money. They stored my dress until right before so my husband didn't get tempted to sneak a peek.

DJ: Bryan Small with Your Sound Choice. He has very affordable rates at $100/hr. He was on time, had an assistant (believe it was his son)  and was able to set up the song and microphone for my friend singing for the ceremony. Overall, he's a good value and would serve the needs of many. He didn't play the clean version of a song and I thought I'd asked for clean versions only. I had small children and our pastor attending our reception. He played my song selection and only one or two of the songs on the do not play list.

Hair: Faces by Joy. I booked Joy with only one week before go time due to a snafu. I higly recommend her. She just happened to have an opening. We had no time for a trial run. She was on time, sweet as she can be and was open to suggestions of others around including my photographer and hair stylist friend that was in attendance. She did a great job! She also did my two moms hair and again - beautiful.

Melody has posted a sneak peek so you can get an idea of what things looked like. The lighting, the flowers, the photography. Feel free to ask me any questions.  

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150603074819247.408854.324793149246&type=1

Re: Vendor Reviews

• I almost forgot:

My cake - My mother in law. She tinkers around the kitchen and not really in business. Mona, the florist, provided the flowers and put them on the cake for us.

BUT we did have cupcakes - Too Sweet in Richmond, VA. We were making a small cake then having cupcakes. I was between them and Frostings. Both are very close to each other. However, Too Sweet's red velvet was better than Frostings in our opinion and went with them. They delivered for a very modest fee. I was thankful for that since I was running around with my girls in town and such.

Prop Shop - Patrick did swagging in the hallways at a very reasonable cost to diffuse the harsh lighting. Great company to look to so definitely check these guys out!
  • Yay! Looks like your day was gorgeous and perfect! I love your crystal beading everywhere. Melody was my photographer too. She is fabulous! I needed lighting as well but went with Blue Steel, who were insanely awesome, but very good to know about AVP.
    I recommend Champangne Tastes to everyone. They are unbeliveable!! A friend booked them for her wedding in month, squee.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards