Louisiana-New Orleans

Horrible experience with Maurice's

I'm not sure how to handle this situation and I was hoping that someone here could offer advice if they have been in a similar situation.  Last week, I ordered a 12" round cake from Maurice's for a bridal shower.  We discussed what it should look like (in great depth) and this was documented by the bakery.  The cost of the cake was around $80.  Another shower hostess picked up the cake, and when she looked at it, it was NOTHING like what we had discussed.  It was the wrong color and even the wrong design.  The size was the only correct part.  Maurice's took 10% off the price, so she left with the cake.  We were in a bind and needed the cake for the event, so we had to take the cake (although it was pretty hideous).  I thought they had just messed up the outside of the cake.  However, when I tasted the cake at the shower, the frosting was even the wrong flavor!  The filling was okay but the outside frosting was almost inedible.  I just called Maurice's and they told me to call back tomorrow when the office manager is there.  I'm so disappointed by this situation.  I can't imagine anyone trusting this bakery with a wedding cake after they completely screwed up a shower cake.

What should I do?  I guess just letting people know about my experience may help people in the future.  Should I request a refund?  $80 for a 12" cake is not cheap, but do bakeries do refunds?  I'm not really sure where to go wtih this.  I'm extremely unhappy.  Should I just post a few online reviews and let it go?  I just feel awful that this bakery gets away with just making whatever ugly cake they feel like making that day and just giving 10% off because they know you're in a situation where it's too late to get another bakery to make one.  Thanks in advance for the advice!

Re: Horrible experience with Maurice's

• I think you should give the bakery an opportunity to rectify the situation before posting bad reviews.  There may have been a mix up at the bakery and maybe they will give you a bigger discount.  FWIW, I got a very nice 12" cake from Flour Power Bakery and it was significantly less expensive.  They did my wedding cake too and it was delicious. 
  • I will never use them because of the experience I had. In the search box type in Maurice's and the experience I had should come up. I would ask for a full refund. There is no excuse for that at all
  • Maurice's is not very personal.  I scheduled a cake tasting, went there for the appointment with my fiance and they said, "Oops!!  We forgot that we scheduled you and we are busy.  Can you come back another day?"  I agreed and rescheduled but when I returned on the day of the new appt. the gave me the same line.  I told them that I couldn't reschedule, so they went in the back and after a few minutes, came out with a paper plate and a few tiny squares of cake with three filling.  They said that I could get an idea from that, then walked off and never came back.  HA!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards