Wedding Reception Forum

Choosing a DJ

Hi all!  Long time reader, first time poster.

My fiance and I are currently looking for a DJ (we have a venue and photographer booked).  I've scouted a few here on the Knot and checked out their prices and Yelp reviews (www.yelp.com) but now we're stumped.  How do you actually pick one DJ out of four or five who get stellar reviews?  Should we go into a meeting with a DJ with a list of songs to make sure he has them?  Do we take playlist suggestions from the DJ?  I'm just not sure what really makes a great DJ.  We're picky about music, but not in a "we need this list of songs played", mostly in a "we don't want this type of music played." 

Thanks for any suggestions you all have!

Re: Choosing a DJ

• Have you been to any weddings in your area and thought that the DJ did a great job?  Talk to those brides and find out who they used.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I would check on your local board for recommendations.  Also yes, you should meet with a minimum of 3.  Part of it is finding someone who understands what kind of style you want, how you want your reception to flow, and who you click with.  A good DJ will ask you for a playlist and will have every song imaginable or know how to get it.  Also if they have video on their website, that is a plus. 
    We loved our DJ--he was pretty much our favorite vendor.  He really took the time to get to know us and what we wanted for our reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards