South Asian Weddings

Plan Mehendi Night or Regret not having one

Hi Ladies,
   I need help - I have 19 days to go and haven't planned my mehendi night, I think I am going to regret not having a mehendi night after my wedding Crybut I dont know where to start or how to go about it. My family does not want to plan it because they are busy planning the wedding, need I say how stressed out I feel right now. If i dont have a mehendi night, the plan was to have someone come over and have it done when I'm home all by myself.
- How do I have a mehendi night without dancers, and have my fiance there to experience what its like and make it fun??

Re: Plan Mehendi Night or Regret not having one

• kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take a deep breath!

Where are you located?  Have you checked online for mehendi artists in your area?

I think you should have mehendi done :) it's part of the experience. I've been to a lot of family weddings where just family was invited to the home, and the food could be catered.  Her fiance was there as well, dancing, and getting into the spirit.  

The mehendi artists can come to your home, and give you the full bridal treatment, hands, forearms, and top of feet, and then do little designs for your family, and friends. 

You don't have to do dances if you don't want to.  Your fiance can be there - your hands will be not useable as the mehendi soaks into your skin, so you'll need help with food, and drinks. 

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • edited December 2011
    Roma

No worries, I am not having an all out mehndi night either...I am keeping it low key I can tell you what am doing to give you ideas
    Decor- 1.got these glass bowls..will be filled with water, couple tea lights and flowers floating (voila)
    2. Hanging wall stuff and pillow covers
    Food-Just picking up two choices of dishes and samosas and naan from a resturant
    I wont be having any dancers, just voluntary performances by close friends (1-2)
    I have about 15-20 ppl in attendance. Out of these I paid for couple ppl to get their mehndi done about 12-13 friends, see if you can still do this. FI cant make it to the mehndi because he is in another state, so it will be a fun girls night. So thats all I have, dont get overwhelmed..just start whereever you can..its not too much, think of it this way you planned an entire wedding, then whats a mehndi night. Hope this helps, dont forget to enjoy it all!
    Happy planning
    -Nicky
  • edited December 2011
    First of all 19 days away! That's so exciting. :)

Now, my mehndi night is about 35-40 people in total. Try Googleing local mehndi artists in your area. I'm also doing mine Thursday night, which is a couple days before my wedding.

For food I am just making some dishes at home with the help of my family. I know that your family might be too busy, but maybe you can go to Sam's Club/BJ's to pick up fruit & vegetable platters. Then maybe pick up some pakora or samosa's from your local indian restaurant. 

Decor wise you can totally just use some dupattas to decorate the walls & candles to set the mood. 

I'm not having any performances besides my cousins who were talking about doing a small quick dance. 

Mostly ppl are just coming for fun & I will have mehndi artists doing 1 hand per guest. 

I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off & good luck!

• edited December 2011
    Maybe you can do a mendi night at a restaurant's function room. If you do it on a Wednesday or Thurdsay night they might be able to offer you a discount. Maybe a mehdi artist would have ideas too.
  • LilaH96LilaH96 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Find a nearby desi restaurant that has a small function room or just do it at home.  I think you should totally have one because its one of the most fun events.  The wedding is stressful but the mehndi is all fun!!

Don't go over board you can ahve a simple menu of chole and poori or have just desserts - something simple - people are there for the dancing and mischief!

Get your friends and cousins together and have a couple of practice ad-hoc dances.  Its all about having fun -so don't stress!!

Good luck!

PS If you're in california, I can recommend venues, mehdni artists, all sorts :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards