Kentucky

wedding planner/coordinator

Hi, I recently got engaged about 2 weeks ago and I have to start planning our wedding for this coming July. I live in NY, my fiance lives in OH and his family lives in KY (which is where we will be having our wedding). We wanted to hire a planner/coordinator to help us. I was hoping to get some advice or suggestions as to what I should look for and ask the wedding planner when we meet. I've searched for wedding planner "checklists" and some are helpful but i was hoping for more insight...Any pointers?

Re: wedding planner/coordinator

• squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What part of Kentucky will your wedding be in?  That will influence suggestions a lot. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, It will be in Lexington, KY. Unfortunately, Im not very familiar with the area and wedding planning...so I was hoping for some sugestions and/or ideas about what to look for in a wedding planner. I would appreciate any help anyone has to offer :)
    edited December 2011
    No problem.  Mine is about 20 minutes from Lexington, so I've got a bunch of research done in that general area.  I'm not using a DOC personally, but I think I have some info on some in the Lexington area.  I'll pull some things together today/tomorrow and get back to you.  In the interim, maybe some of the other KY ladies will chime in. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you soooo very much I appreciate any help that i can get :) I actually have a conference call today with a wedding planner and I hope it goes well :/ If you do not mind me asking, do you have a trusted video andphotographer that you used or know well? Thanks again for your help!
  • PoppPopp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

There are some very good planners in Lexington.

Brandan Gravitt (The Bride's Assistant)
    Alicia DeBoor and Deanna Dillender (Great Expectations)

As far as a trusted photographer, Shaun Ring gets my vote.

And if you haven't looked at www.kevinmoreland.com, it is a VERY complete list of Lexington (and surrounding areas) vendors.

If you want, email me at sugarcoatedalmondbliss@yahoo.com, and I'll discuss further.

• edited December 2011
    I'll vote for Shaun too.
    edited December 2011
    My photographer is out of Louisville (Bella Grace Studios).  A lot of Louisville photogs will do Lexington weddings - including mine.  We did e-pics earlier, some of which are in my bio.  Also, his blog has several Lexington weddings. 

As far as videographers, I talked to a lot, but the ones I liked were out of my budget.  We're going to have a family friend operate the camera and I'll edit the video.  I did research on wedding wire and craig's list for that.  Here are a couple that I liked best:
    www.SomethingBlueWeddingVideos.com
    http://www.classicpixels.com/

For planners, since I didn't interview any, I can't give you personal recs.  However, here's the listing from WeddingWire:  LINK

Regarding what to talk to the planner about:
    overall budget, how the planner gets paid, if they have any bias toward specific vendors, etc.  Things they should be able to help with:  venues, photogs, videographers, cake bakers, caterers, seamstress (alterations), flowers, celebrants, etc.  They may also help with invites and other paper goods, websites, etc., but those are things you can likely do yourself at a distance much easier.

Once you talk to them, feel free to post back here with their ideas for venues & vendors & some of the locals can share what they know about those. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards