Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Help! Question on Wedding Officiants

Hi, everyone. My brother is actually getting married this weekend in Iowa, and his officiant has canceled on them last minute. I'm trying to help brainstorm options, and I know when I planned my wedding the Knot board was super helpful.

Does anyone know the legal rules for officiants in Iowa? Where I got married, a clergyman had to actually have a congregation, so you couldn't do one of those online ordinations. Is that the case in Iowa? Anyone know of someone available in the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area otherwise this weekend?

Thanks!

Re: Help! Question on Wedding Officiants

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yikes, what about a judge from that area?  I'm not sure how short of notice they will take, but it may be worth a try.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely call down to the county vital records office for the location he's getting married.  I believe they will have a list of judges & officiants...or at the very least they can point you in the right direction.  

Hope it works out! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure the online ordinations are allowed.  I have a couple of friends that are "ordained" to do weddings.

But yes, definitely call the county records office to verify this.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister got married 5 years ago in Iowa and the same thing happened.  My dad took an online course one night and married my sister :)  The online course will be fine! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards