Latino Weddings
Options

GTKY Poll!

All right since this board has achieved utter and complete boredom, I made up a little poll as a get to know you...I've noticed some new ladies around here so I thought this might be fun!

What is your....

Wedding Date?
Nationality?
FI's nationality?
Ages?
Favorite Food?
Favorite Song?
Favorite Movie?
Are you incorporating any latin traditions in the wedding?
Any other cultural traditions?
Do you speak spanish?

Looking forward to seeing some answers!
AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GTKY Poll!

• Options
    Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll start!

Wedding Date? September 3rd 2011

Nationality? Italian

FI's nationality?
    Cuban

Ages?
    I'm 25, he turned 30 today!

Favorite Food? Gnocchi.  For latin food it's congris

Favorite Song? I would have to say that at this moment it's Danza Kuduro by Lucenzo and Don Omar along with JLo's On the floor...It changes quite frequently

Favorite Movie?  Beauty and the Beast!  I also LOVE Gladiator

Not really.  We're doing our official dance to a spanish song (El Amor eres tu by Carlos Manuel) and hopefully my MIL will be making some flan for our sweet table.

Italian Food all around!  We're also doing the traditional wedding things, garter toss etc

Do you speak spanish?
    Yes. Fluently

• Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Very good idea Cynthia!! The board is starting to liven up a bit.. slowly but surely! ;-)

Wedding Date? July 21, 2012

Nationality? Dominican and Ecuadorian, though US born

FI's nationality? Ecuadorian all the way lol

Ages? 23, FI 28

Favorite Food? Everythinggg!! But I am a sucker for shrimp alfredo!! mm!!

Favorite Song? Ever: Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse- Minus the Bear.. long title.. good song. It defines my life and everything I want to do haha! Right now: Ughh.. I don't know!! Too many!! lol

Favorite Movie? Sound of Music, haha been watching it all my life! Or The Little Mermaid. (Cynthia I'm a huge fan of both those movies as well!!)

Are you incorporating any latin traditions in the wedding? Well seeing as how we're having it in a spanish-speaking country, I'm sure lots of them will just fall into place on their own. Dances, customs, and  there's this strange looking version of the garter toss that includes everyone lifting the groom in the air to pull the garter off... anybody else seen this??? Scared the crap out of me first time I saw it haha! Anyway, I do find myself wanting to include american things now too. Haha funny how tables tend to turn huh?

Any other cultural traditions? Just random american stuff, not really traditions I should correct myself, but more trends. E.g. card boxes, favors, untraditional (here at least) cakes, decor, sig drinks, writing vows... things like that.  

Do you speak spanish? Yes, fluently
  • Options
    edelgado11edelgado11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i started to come around this board towards the end of my planning, I was mainly in the march 2011 board.

Wedding Date?
    March 19,2011

Nationality? Mexican, US born

FI's nationality?
    Mexican, US born

Ages? 31, FI 33

Favorite Food? we're both huge foodies!!!

Favorite Song? i dont think i have one right now.

Favorite Movie? anything animated, but right now Toy Story 3 is up there.

Are you incorporating any latin traditions in the wedding? Yes, we had a fully bilingual Catholic mass with mariachi. lasso, arras and bouquet to the blessed mother.we didnt plan this but the guys did lift my now hubbie and threw him in the air- very funny/scary.

Any other cultural traditions? we did the garter/ bouquet toss but no 'bibora de la mar' because it gets a bit crazy. father-daughter/mother-son dances.
    biggest thing i worried about: rsvp's! lol

Do you speak spanish? fluently
    Anniversary ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wedding Date?
    11/5/11

Nationality?
    African American

FI's nationality?
    Salvadorian

Ages?
    I'm 25, he'll be 25 in June

Favorite Food?
    Pupusas

Favorite Song?
    Any song that I can sing :)

Favorite Movie?
    Don't really have one

Haha yes, almost all of them.

Nope, unless you consider the typical American things that Latinos aren't use to, like rsvp'ing lol

Do you speak spanish?
    Yes with about 95% fluency, lots of verbs I don't know still though
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ckastner1ckastner1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wedding Date: November in Mexico and January in the States for a party/reception

Nationality:  US

FI's nationality:  Mexican

Ages:  I am 27 and fiance is 34

Favorite Food:  I love lasagna and fried quesadillas

Favorite Song:  that depends on my mood

Favorite Movie:  Return to Me

Are you incorporating any latin traditions in the wedding:  We will be getting married at a Catholic church in Mexico, so we will be having the lassos and aras (but we may change that a bit so we can both promise to earn money for the family and we also both promise to spend it wisely). 

Any other cultural traditions:  We will also be incorporating some of my traditions that we like, such as a guest book with personalized messages and a video of photos of us growing up.  We really want to make the wedding a celebration of who we are, and we have really worked to share our cultures with each other, so we are choosing what we want to do from each culture (and leaving out some things that don't really fit our personalities).

Do you speak spanish?  Yes, I would say almost fluent since I've been living in Mexico for a few years (and fiance didn't speak much English at all when we first met!)
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    edited December 2011
    Ckastner are you an expat as well?? Me too! Lol sorry if this is weird, but I get excited when I meet others like myself.. I don't know many expats lol! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Awesome!

Wedding Date? 07/02/2011

Nationality? Salvadoran/Colombian American raised by my Mexican stepfather - so you chose! lol

FI's nationality? Salvadoran

Ages? I am 28 he is 26

Favorite Food? Carbs! lol rice, pasta, bread, butter, cheese - I do like meat but I love carbs

Favorite Song? At the moment, el doctorado Tony Daze

Favorite Movie? Hope Floats :)

Are you incorporating any latin traditions in the wedding? Its all Hispanic

Any other cultural traditions? Nope, well a sand ceremony you dont see those too much in Hispanic weddings 

Do you speak spanish? Everyday! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ckastner1ckastner1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nati05:  Not weird at all!  I am an expat as well (although I don't usually think of myself in that way...).  I don't plan on being here my whole life, but I am enjoying it right now.  How long have you been living outside of the country?
  • Options
    Nati05Nati05 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_gtky-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:ca129c94-a82d-4201-8de2-6fcc55cf16f3Post:5292873e-6ba5-4d33-86ea-09f51c2cac9b">Re: GTKY Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nati05:  Not weird at all!  I am an expat as well (although I don't usually think of myself in that way...).  I don't plan on being here my whole life, but I am enjoying it right now.  How long have you been living outside of the country?
    Posted by ckastner1[/QUOTE]

Me neither really, in fact I don't like the term at all... but it seems to be the only one people understand lol. I'll have been here for 2 years now this summer. I'm not really sure how long though, it's kind of indefinite. I really love it and FI and I don't have any plans of leaving anytime soon. Though when we have children we're not too sure about where we want to be. Maybe we'll even do a little in between the two places! :)
  • Options
    Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Looks like we all have a pretty hearty appetite!!!!  I love food!
  • Options
    garzalgarzal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is your....

Wedding Date? Sept. 24th 2011
    Nationality?  Mexican American
    FI's nationality? Mexican American
    Ages? 32 (me) & 37 (FI)
    Favorite Food? mole con arroz
    Favorite Song? Y todos me Miran by Gloria Trevi
    Favorite Movie? Too many to choose from
    Are you incorporating any latin traditions in the wedding?  Yes, we're having bilingual catholic mass with our "padrinos" & "madrinas" de lasso, arras, etc. We are also having mariachis play during our dinner.

Any other cultural traditions? we're planning on having a "torna boda" at my FI's house after the reception serving menudo & coffee.
    Do you speak spanish? Claro que sí :-)

Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wedding Date?
    Nationality?
    FI's nationality?
    Ages?
    Favorite Food?
    Favorite Song?
    Favorite Movie?
    Do you speak spanish?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OOPS! My computer was acting up.....
    Anywho, I'm a little late to the party but I'd still like to join you all!

WEDDING DATE- August 13, 2011
    NATIONALITY- Mexican American (CHICANA) and my hunny is
    part Mexican/Japanese/German (JAPXICAN)
    AGES- I am 26 and my hunny is 28
    FAV FOOD- Everything!!!! I am not a picky eater at all. I will try everything once :)
    FAV SONG- Hermoso Carinio from Chente because it was the song that was playing when he proposed ;)
    FAV MOVIE- Pan's Labyrinth. If you haven't seen it, I highly reccommend it!
    LATIN TRADITIONS- As a kid I was never brought up in church so I am unfamiliar about religious traditions. I have seen the arras and laso done though.
    CULTURAL TRADITIONS- We are doing the money dance.
    SPEAK SPANISH- I thank my parents that I am fluent in Espanol, and can read and write it pretty well.

• Options
    latina40299latina40299 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wedding Date?  October 22,2011
    Nationality?  Chicana (Mexican/Gutemalan/Salvadorena)
    FI's nationality? Chicano ( His family is from El Salvador)
    Ages?  Were both 34
    Favorite Food?  Mexican and Italian
    Favorite Song?  I have many ;)
    Favorite Movie? The Notebook
    Are you incorporating any latin traditions in the wedding?  Sadly I'm not since we will be having an nonreligious ceremony with 20 of our dearest family members and friends 
    Any other cultural traditions? Music,that's about it
    Do you speak spanish? Claro que si!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards